This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

With summer right around the corner, only one thing comes to my mind…THE BEACH! I’m from Los Angeles, so I am constantly either at Santa Monica Beach or Venice Beach. Mostly because of the food, but also because of the nice weather. One of my biggest concerns about going to the beach is being comfortable in what I’m wearing. Here is what I like to wear when I go to the beach!

Makeup

When it comes to makeup, I like keeping it simple. Why go all out if you are probably going to get your face wet anyway? Since my face is usually super red regardless if I’ve been in the sun or not, I like applying a thin layer of bb cream. My go-to’s are definitely the Garnier All-Day Shine Control and the Maybelline BB Cream as well. Plus, they have SPF! I usually don’t wear eye makeup, but if I do decide I want to wear something I usually go for any water proof mascara. And then, I apply some tinted lip balm just to add a little color to my face. If you are unsure of what products to buy, YouTube has thousands of reviews of makeup products where you like drugstore products or high end. Some of my favorite YouTube accounts that I follow are itsjudytime, SunKissAlba, and Leah Allyannah.

Beach Attire

Bathing Suits – This, is pretty much all up to you! What ever makes you feel your best is the bathing suit that best fits you! Some websites that always have super cheap and cute bathing suits are forever21.com, target.com, hm.com, and wetseal.com. Lace and caged bikinis are in, and these websites have them for a great price!

Clothing – I usually just throw on a comfy t-shirt with a pair of denim shorts, because you can never go wrong with a pair of shorts. If I plan to stay until night time, I like taking a pair of yoga pants or sometimes even sweat pants because it tends to get a bit cold sometimes.

Food

And of course, don’t forget to take snacks! Cut up fruit like watermelon, mango, and strawberries are my favorite to take. Chips and pretzels are also great because they stay good all day long! AND WATER. You will definitely get thirsty, especially with all the salt in the air, so bring some extra water bottles!

Whatever you decide to wear and eat, just remember to enjoy your time with your family and friends and to splash around the water as if you were a mermaid. Oh, and don’t forget to wear sunscreen!

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.