This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked, “Why do girls wear makeup?” I would be able to buy all the makeup that I have ever wanted.  For those of you who didn’t watch the VMA’s, here are a couple things that you missed: Drake’s speech to Rihanna for receiving the Vanguard award, The Chainsmokers and Halsey performing Closer, Kanye smiling, and Alicia Keys strutting her natural beauty.

When paparazzi and fans discovered that she had gone bare, they decided it was okay to bash on her for not wearing makeup. If you Google, “Alicia Keys VMA 2016” the first results are articles talking about how she decided to go bare. Some articles even went as far to say, that her choice to not wear makeup to this event was unprofessional. If you go on twitter and search tweets about her, you will read about how she should have worn at least a “bit of concealer” for such a huge and well known event.. as if her looks were the only thing that mattered that night. But amongst the criticism, you will also find tweets about how amazing and inspirational Alicia Keys was for not caring about what people said and embracing her own natural beauty. Some of her fans have even thanked Alicia Keys (via twitter, instagram and facebook) for showing up to the event without makeup- claiming the singer helped boost their confidence. Some fans are even saying that Alicia Keys has set into motion a movement they would like to see more celebrities take a part of.

This new movement is all about accepting who you are and what you look like without makeup. It is about empowering women to embrace their natural beauty and not be ashamed of flaws or imperfections. This involves wearing a naked face without caring what others will say about how you look. Because at the end of the day, as long as you love yourself and accept who you are, that’s all that matters. Which is the point being made by Alicia Keys’ decision to show up to the VMA’s without a trace of makeup: how you look on the inside is what should matter. So to be completely honest, I think this new movement is gold.

Yeah, makeup is great and it’s exciting when you get to experiment with a new look, but how awesome would it be to feel okay going bare face to a party, or to a huge school event? If you are a makeup lover like me, you cannot go anywhere without at least a bit of mascara and BB cream because you can feel everyone judging you for your dark circles and blemishes. Alicia Keys is one of the most successful and well known artists today and knew that millions were going to be watching her, yet she did not care what her critics were saying. If she can do it in front of millions of people, so can you! So get out there and try the no makeup look. Accept who you truly are behind that foundation and A1 highlighter, and learn how to love yourself just like Alicia Keys. Love you Alicia!

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma