This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

The 2017 Vagina Monologues are almost upon us!

This is going to be a very special year for the monologues: two brand new pieces have been written for this year, and this year only! There is a specific focus of this year’s performance: sexual violence in the workplace, a familiar phenomenon to womxn around the world. It is beautiful; you will laugh, cry, and learn. The monologues are intended to raise awareness of all womxn’s stories, from all walks of life. It shares stories from womxn of color, survivors of rape, gay womxn, trans womxn, and sex workers, as well as experiences common to all womxn, like good sex and struggles with hair. The show supports the movement V-Day, a new take on Valentine’s Day, that aims to end violence against womxn and children. Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for faculty, and $15 for the public. Shirts that the cast has designed and and vagina-shaped chocolates made by the cast will be on sale at the show! All proceeds will go to Verity, Sonoma County’s only rape and crisis center. In addition, there will be a space at the show for donations of feminine hygiene products like pads and tampons. These will be donated to womxn’s shelters in the area, because it’s hard enough having to suffer through a period, but not having access to period supplies makes it even harder.

For the Seawolves reading this, you can buy tickets at the Box Office in the Student Center! For Seawolves and everyone else interested in attending, you can buy tickets online, at this link:

https://tickets.sonoma.edu/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadAr…

I'm Suzie, and I'm a senior at Sonoma State University! I'm a Peer Mentor, a member of SSU's Equestrian team, cat lover, tea drinker, avid book reader. I'm an anthropology major pursuing a career in higher education and student affairs as an advocate for student programs with a focus on diversity, mental health, and sexual assault awareness. I'm excited to gain experience learning about and raising awareness of current campus issues through writing for HerCampus!
Contributor account for HC Sonoma