Why Students Are All For Bernie Sanders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Republicans slam him for everything from his kooky hair to his policies. He’s sparked incredible controversy over his Socialist Democratic views. But this senator from Vermont is gaining speed and support from minority groups across the board. He’s the angry progressive uncle that young voters are falling in love with; Bernie is our Disney princess, our pissed off grandpa, and the new face of the far left.  

So why is Bernie doing so well with young people?

For one, he understands our struggles. Free college, anyone?

He’s been a supporter of minority issues for a long time, and as young people/students, we are one of those minorities. We are also the minority in that young people are consistently have the lowest voter turnout. It’s refreshing, in my opinion, to see such passion in young people for politics, even if all their information is from the #feelthebern tag on twitter. His focus on social reform appeals to minorities and students, like the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as Trans Visibility Day. He’s always been on the progressive side of history as a long time civil rights and gay rights activist. People like him because he sticks to his guns (literally, as his conservative gun policies show) and stands by what he believes in.  Many politicians, including fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton, come under fire for pandering to the public, saying what people want to hear just to get votes.

His free college programs are particularly appealing to students. He plans to replace the money by taxing Wall Street speculators, reduce the cost of student loan interest rates, and make public colleges take care of the lowest-income students financially. Senator Sanders argues that it’s morally wrong for the United States to financially benefit from student loan programs. Specifically, over $110 billion in profit. Many of Sanders’ plans are based on success stories from other countries like Britain, Germany, France, Switzerland, and China.

Bernie is also an important ally to the feminist movement. He’s totally pro women, pro choice, stands with Planned Parenthood, wants to close the pay gap, and supports a myriad of other women’s issues.

Sanders is a great role model for allies everywhere, demonstrating how to correctly support racial justice, LGBT+ equality, and gender equality. He’s open minded, attentive to our needs, and most importantly, he’s supportive without being intrusive. One of the greatest tasks for an ally is to use your privilege, whatever it may be, to fight for those without that privilege. And Bernie Sanders does just that. For that reason, he gains respect from minority groups and activists in all age groups. He has gained the youth vote by being honest, supportive, and relatable. He cares about issues relevant to college kids everywhere, and that’s why we love Uncle Bernie. #studentsforbernie

I'm Suzie, and I'm a senior at Sonoma State University! I'm a Peer Mentor, a member of SSU's Equestrian team, cat lover, tea drinker, avid book reader. I'm an anthropology major pursuing a career in higher education and student affairs as an advocate for student programs with a focus on diversity, mental health, and sexual assault awareness. I'm excited to gain experience learning about and raising awareness of current campus issues through writing for HerCampus!
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.