diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Academics

Welcome New Seawolves: Tips for SSU Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

So you’re a freshman in college. Congratulations! This is a huge, exciting milestone and time in your life. But with that excitement comes a lot of change: New place, new people, new experiences. There are undoubtedly thousands of articles delving into a heartfelt discussion surrounding the transition into college, but what about the real, everyday moments at Sonoma State University? Here are my tips for our shiny new Seawolves.

Eat at the Kitchens… You’re paying for it.

My freshman year I never ate at the Kitchens because I was on the opposite schedule of my roommates and I hated eating alone. But to my starving junior self, that wasted meal plan feels like I threw away gold. And seriously, no one notices nor cares that you’re bare-faced and by yourself. And anyone that would care, has bigger issues.

Also go to Charlie Brown’s Cafe, but not during lunch

CBC is one of my favorite places on campus to chill, eat, and study. It’s super busy during lunch but during the rest of the day, it’s a great lowkey environment.

Acquire taste for coffee

RIP the days of getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis. Trust me, caffeine is your new frenemy, and the stronger the better.

Call buildings by the last name

It’s not Ruben Salazar Hall. It’s just Salazar. If you ask me directions to Ruben, I will be real confused.

Hangout by the lakes

Every time I ask someone why they chose to attend SSU, they always mention how beautiful the campus is. Yet arguably the most beautiful part of campus tends to be deserted. Take a snack and some homework and go enjoy some time by the lakes. Bonus, there’s some pretty legit turtles.

Don’t wear your lanyard everywhere you go

Again, do what you want, but the most telltale sign of being a freshman is wearing your lanyard. Just saying.

Be nice to everyone

SSU is a relatively small school. Everyone knows each other, everyone talks. If you have beef with someone, word gets around, and that one bad day you had can be the reason you don’t get a leadership position or into an organization. That doesn’t mean you have to be best friends with everyone, but don’t be a jerk, okay?

Avoid Seawolf Plaza if you’re not feeling your best

The area between the Student Center and the Recreation Center is always crowded with organizations tabling and people hanging out. If you’re having one of those “rolled out of bed please don’t look at me” days and don’t feel like being social, consider adjusting your route to stroll past the library instead. Alternatively, if you’re feeling like the beautiful gem I know you are, go show off that new outfit (and pick up flyers while you’re at it!). Same rule applies for Target and Shari’s.

Take a really cool elective that has nothing to do with your major

Exploring your interests doesn’t mean only doing things that have to do with your major. It’s called exploration for a reason. There’s some really cool classes offered here. Look through the classes offered and if something looks interesting, take it, even if it doesn’t fulfill any requirement. College is about learning, and no matter what it is, it will benefit you in some way. You have room for electives for a reason!

But real talk, utilize campus resources…

SSU has a plethora of campus resources that are ridiculously underutilized. And at the end of the day, you’re paying for them regardless of if you use them or not, so you might as well.

…because people WANT to help you

I’m a peer mentor in a freshman classroom, some of the questions I receive most frequently from my students are about why I chose this position. The answer is complicated, but the summary is simple: I want to help you. From your CSAs to your professors, everyone here is on your side and wants to be there for you. Yes, even that random dude you asked for directions to Carson, because chances are someone helped him when he was a lost freshman too. Never be afraid to ask for help and advice, and never apologize for wanting support.

And always remember why you’re here

There’s nothing wrong with having fun. In fact, if you do it right, college can be one of the most fun times of your life. However, it is always vital to return to your “why”. Why are you here? Where is the source of your drive? Is taking that extra shot, going out every night instead of studying, or dumbing down for a boy worth risking your “why”? You’re here for a reason, and when things get tough or you have difficult choices to make, always return to your “why”.

Welcome to SSU, baby Seawolf. You got this!

Have some more tips for SSU freshmen? Leave them in the comments! hcxo

Contributor account for HC Sonoma