A Day Without An Immigrant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

On Thursday, February 16th, thousands of supporters around the country united and joined a viral movement that aimed to show the country how much immigrants contribute to our nation’s economy. This day was known as “A Day Without An Immigrant.” As a result, families did not attend work, students did not go to school, and businesses did not open. Below are the stories of individuals who decided to join the movement and take a stand for their community.

“I heard about it through Twitter and Facebook and was really curious to learn more about it. My initial thoughts were if it would actually work since I know for a lot of low wage workers in the community that taking a day off would really effect their paychecks. I chose to participate (in a peaceful protest) because as a descendant of immigrants, it’s impossible not to see what a huge positive impact immigrants make on America. Being at the rally and a part of this national strike was so fulfilling. It was amazing being able to let the undocumented people in my community know that we are standing with them in solidarity. There were babies, kids, teens, adults and the elderly all there to show compassion and love for immigrants. I want the rest of the US to realize that undocumented immigrants from Mexico don’t come into the US to murder anyone or start drug cartels. That’s what they’re running from back home. When Mexican immigrants come to America it’s for a shot at a better life and a quality education for their children. “

– Marina Martinez on the right, student, 20

“My initial thoughts were not to participate fully in the event. I had a full day of classes which were important I attended. As I got to campus, I knew it wasn’t what I really wanted to do. It went against everything I believed. As bad as missing a day of classes was going to be, I could always make it up so I got right on the next bus back home.The day was amazing. I could not describe how proud I felt as I got to the plazita.The place was packed, raza everywhere. I knew I made the right choice. Standing there side by side with my people, I would not change it for the world. We stood there in solidarity for hours. It was definitely a life changing experience. For me personally, I would want all of our people to feel that we got their backs. We are here for the people of our community. The ultimate goal in my eyes was unity. I want the U.S to know that immigrants are the future to this beautiful nation. Immigrants are not criminals. These are hard working people. We are all human.”     

– “ Viva la raza.” – Oscar Corcoles on the right, senior at UC Merced, 21

“I heard about it through Facebook and I thought that this event is a way to make us feel noticed in this country. As an immigrant, I decided to participating by not going to work, or buying anything. It was a positive day because it was a day of union of all immigrants who live in the US. I hope that we were able to send a message that we are not criminals, we’re good people. I would like the rest of the country to know that we all rely on each other; race, color, religion, none of it matters. I would like the president to make good decisions for everyone, I would like to see him unite us instead of divide it, because only then will we move forward as a country.”

Mother of 2, Field worker, 44

The results of this day were not major enough for President Trump to acknowledge, however it was major enough to unite both immigrant and nonimmigrants across the nation. For communities like Watsonville, CA; days like this only validate the strength of the community, and reveal that undocumented people are not alone. I want to give a special thanks to those individuals who let me interview them and tell their story; it’s people like you that help change America into a more accepting, and loving country.