8 Outdoor Spots in Sonoma County

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Its no secret that there are plenty of things students would rather be doing than sitting in class all day. With the weather warming up and spring in the air, what better way to spend your free time than outside? Sonoma County is well known for its mountains, rivers, lakes, and trails. Whatever you’re in the mood for, Sonoma County and surrounding areas have got you covered. Here’s some places to get outside to and fight the restless leg syndrome we all experience, whether from work or school.

1. Taylor Mountain, Rohnert Park

For Sonoma State students Taylor Mountain is the perfect pit stop; whether it’s a in between-class hike, or a picnic for two, the close proximity makes it an easy destination. The mountain also has a disk golf course that attracts amateurs and professionals. The mountain has several loops that can be hiked in one hour to an hour and a half if you are looking for a quick exercise, as well as longer trails for a more vigorous workout. A parking fee is required so bring your wallets along to support regional parks maintenance

2. Crane Creek, Rohnert Park

Crane Creek is also in close proximity to Sonoma State. Located off Petaluma Hill Road and Roberts Road, just five minutes South East of Sonoma State. There are several flat trails that connect and wrap back around to the parking lot that can be done in a short time, and other, ore steep hikes that can take a bit longer. Along side the trails you can enjoy several beds of our state flower, the California Poppy. This is a great place to come if you want to go for a stroll with a nice view. After a good rain, the creek is sure to be flowing. This location also has a disk golf course if you follow the trail on the West side of the parking lot. There are also several peaceful lookout points with benches where you can rest your feet and enjoy the beauty around you. On your way back from the trails make sure to stop off at Darling Farms on Petaluma Hill road for some fresh produce and a farmer that is sure to put a smile on your face

3. Annadel State Park, Santa Rosa

About fifteen minutes north of Rohnert Park, you’ll find Annadel state park in Santa Rosa. These trails are catered for more serious hiking. Trails loops can be up to 8 miles long so pack a lunch and stay hydrated. There are several well-known spots for locals, which include “stone couch”. Find this hidden treasure and enjoy a spectacular view.

4. Helen Putnam, Petaluma

About fifteen minutes south of Rohnert Park, you’ll find Helen Putnam in Petaluma. This is a great spot for picnics and family hikes. Beginner/ intermediate hikers can easily conquer these trails. Plus there are great places in downtown Petaluma to stop off for a bite to eat after working up an appetite.

5. Armstrong Woods

Want to adventure through the redwoods? Armstrong Woods in Guerneville is where the heart of the redwoods lies. These beautiful giants are ancient! There are several trails you can follow or you can weave your way into the groves and be surrounded by the friendly giants. You can hike the redwoods and then relax at the river after!

6.  Russian River, Guerneville

Want a change of pace or something more relaxing to do? The Russian River is a great place to hang when the weather heats up. There are several beaches that run through the town of Guerneville that are open for public access. Sunset beach and Johnson’s beach are two popular ones. You can rent kayaks or paddle boards for the afternoon. Pack a lunch bring a floating device because you can easily relax the day away here. Don’t forget your sunscreen, hat, water, and a good read. Bring the crew or lounge by yourself. The Russian River is a perfect place for anyone.

7. Bodega Bay

Bodega Bay is about an hour East of town. There are many beaches to explore as well as trails to hike. There are also several spots for beach camping if you have a reservation. You can collect seashells, run down the sand dunes of Salmon Creek Beach, and enjoy a hot bowl of clam chowder at a local restaurant.

8. Lake Sonoma

Lake Sonoma should be on everyone’s summer to-do list. Head out with some friends and inner tube, water ski, or enjoy a relaxing day of boating. You can also camp at Lake Sonoma with a reservation. 

Hi I'm Ari. I love all things nature.There is beauty all around us, we just have to look to really see it. I love anything yoga, cheese, crystals, hula hooping, eating and traveling.
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.