samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career > Work

5 Reasons You Won’t Get Hired Without A LinkedIn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

It’s time to let go of any misconceptions you have doubting the power of a well-developed LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is a dominant medium, standing unmatched as the only business-oriented professional social networking platform. Those who invest time and attention undoubtedly make connections that open up a whole new world of opportunities and information, while those who brush it off are left alone in the dust of unemployment. Still skeptical? Check out these five reasons why you need a LinkedIn today and always, no matter your situation, but especially if you want to be hired.

…because LinkedIn is the new resume

Gone are the days in which a glowing resume was enough. In truth, employers look at a resume for an average of seven seconds before it is dropped into a black hole of brilliant individuals lost to the endless expanse of papers. You could be the most qualified candidate in the world, but that means nothing if you don’t take the extra step to stand out. The experience listed on your LinkedIn profile both verifies the information listed on your resume as well as elaborates on your involvement. Also, by providing the opportunity to add links to projects and other work you have done, LinkedIn allows you to prove your experience rather than just outline it. You know the ageless expression “show them, don’t tell them”? That’s exactly what LinkedIn enables you to do.

…because you’re nothing without your personal brand

As discussed in the last section, it’s one thing to see a block of key words jumbled on a resume under some bolded contact info. But seeing someone’s profile – meeting their digital face and taking a peek into their world – turns qualifications into a candidate. Employers want to see that you are innovative, creative, and a leader, and building your personal brand establishes you as such. LinkedIn is a tool to show that you are more than a piece of paper. You are multifaceted, engaged, and passionate, with a backpack of experiences that have lifted you to a higher level than your competition. As Forbes said in a statement of advice to jobseekers, “Keep burnishing that increasingly important personal brand. Anything you want made apparent about yourself to recruiters needs to be prominently featured online across professional outlets and networking platforms. (Essentially, you’re looking to become the most attractive needle in a significant haystack.)”

…because networking isn’t a buzzword – it’s a necessity

According to Forbes, about half of all available job openings are not advertised. This is because many recruiters first search for qualified candidates in their network before opening up the floodgates to the ocean of job seekers jumping at an opportunity that may or may not be relevant. I personally have been contacted by recruiters several times over LinkedIn, and I’m not even looking for work right now. These recruiters finding me is a perfect example of the power of online networking. None of these individuals I knew, yet they were still able to find me because I put time and effort into my account.

Related: Career Services to the Rescue

…because research isn’t just a one way street

The last section discussed the ways in which recruiters can find you. But have you thought about how much digging you yourself can do? You can gather a lot of information about a company you are interested in through interacting with their LinkedIn account (yes, they have one, because they too know how necessary it is). Gather information about the hiring manager and the company’s current projects before entering an interview. Find what about the company sparks your interest and dig deeper to find an overlap between the company’s goals and your own skills and passions. Then you can frame your interview answers based on the knowledge you have gathered, and ask questions to show your attentiveness and investment. No it’s not creepy – hiring managers want to see that you did your homework. One of the greatest things you can identify about a company through LinkedIn is researching their current challenges. As Liz Ryan said in an article on LinkedIn’s Recruiting and Hiring section, “It may help you to remember that the only reason organizations hire people is because it would cost them more in lost revenue or wasted expense if they didn’t have each of their team members on board. The magic number for you to know as a job-seeker is “What is the cost of the pain my employer experiences until I show up to relieve it?”” In other words, to be hired, you need to prove that you have the qualifications to support an area in which the company is lacking. And that starts with identifying the problem. 

…because there are people waiting in the wings to help you

Beyond researching and talking to a company you’re particularly attracted to, LinkedIn allows for the opportunity to talk to people in the same or related field and hear about their own challenges and experiences – and gain valuable knowledge and insight. There are endless ways to find people to talk to, such as searching for alumni from your school, or joining groups and engaging in discussions. And remember: These people want to help you. According to US News, “Research shows that many working adults have a strong inclination to help young people jump-start their careers. A nationwide survey conducted by Fairfield Inn & Suites revealed that 77 percent of adults are willing to help college graduates find work. This may be based partly on the desire to pay it forward, since 66 percent of respondents acknowledged the powerful role that networking has played in helping them maintain momentum in their own careers.”

So by now you’ve come to the realization that you need to step up your LinkedIn game, whether that means creating one from the ground up or editing your current creation to all-star status. Lucky for our Seawolf readers, I’m about to make your life even easier. SSU Career Services is offering a free LinkedIn workshop Monday 9/26 at 2 PM in Salazar 1070, where you will learn all the tips and tricks necessary to developing that all-star profile, as well as receive personalized critiquing and the opportunity to take a professional headshot. Call (707) 664-2196 to reserve your spot before this in-demand workshop fills up.

Happy networking!

Contributor account for HC Sonoma