Feeling Homesick? We’ve Got the Cure!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Soka chapter.

A month ago you walked into your new residence hall excitedly, with nothing but a Target mattress topper in one hand and a bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos in the other. Any thoughts of missing home were quickly pushed aside after catching a glimpse of the ping pong tables in the common room.

But now, 30 days and a bag of Cheetos later, you catch yourself thinking wistfully of back home; what your dad is cooking for dinner, or if your labradoodle Dodger misses you as much as you miss him. It’s inevitable— a wave of homesickness hits, and suddenly it feels like you can’t stay in this dorm for a single second longer.

If you have felt or currently feel like this, don’t worry, you’re not alone! Big transitions are tough for everyone, especially if that transition means living away from home for the first time. College comes with a lot of new territory— scheduling the classes you want, navigating a new social sphere, doing your own laundry— but amid all of the stresses and unfamiliarities, it’s really helpful to find a way to keep yourself grounded. That’s why it’s important to have a little piece of home, something that reminds you of happy memories and can make your new life feel a little bit more like your old life. That way, whenever you’re feeling down, you have a little bit of comfort to pick you right back up.

This comfort can be anything— a book, a snack, even an activity! So if you’re struggling to come up with an idea that isn’t lugging your entire bedframe to school, we’ve got you covered. We asked some students here at Soka to share what their little pieces of home are.

1. Photos/Photo Collage

“I have my wall covered in photos of my friends and I, which is awesome because it does two things: makes for a cool decoration and reminds me of past fun and adventures!”  –Julia Brenner, third year

2. Letters/Notes

“My friends gave me a jar full of little notes that they wrote, telling me all the things they love about me! It’s a nice little compliment that I can read whenever I need it.”  –Shelby Kohn, first year

3. Posters/Calendars

“I love my Hamilton calendar and my poster of Shakespeare hanging on the wall. I took them from my room back home, so I literally brought a piece of home with me!” –Brianna Hanson, first year

4. Blankets/Clothing

“I brought my Finding Nemo baby blanket with me – it really just reminds me of being home safe with my parents, and it’s nice to sleep with when I’m feeling extra homesick.” –Toni Murray, first year

5. Snacks/Food

“Café de Vida cocoa mix is my favorite – I drank it all the time back home. I brought a box of it with me to school, so now the hardest part about the whole situation is waiting for it to cool down!” –Casey Chaffin, first year

If none of these ideas resounded with you, that’s okay. You can always come up with something of your own. As long as it makes you happy, it doesn’t matter what it is. Just remember that missing home is totally normal, even if you started college feeling excited and ready or even if you’re returning to college for your third year! Major life changes will always be tough, but a few Cheetos and a cup of hot chocolate might make it just a little bit better.

Nellie Hultman is currently a sophomore at Soka University of America where she is studying Social and Behavioral Sciences. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Soka. After living in 6 countries, she has developed a love for traveling, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, and trying new foods (lots of it). She hopes to continue traveling the world throughout her life. She plans to attend law school after college, and she desires to build a life focused on inspiring, empowering, and serving others. When she’s not doing homework or thinking about ways to change the world, you can find her researching unsolved crimes, singing in the car, watching Seinfeld… or eating.