Life > Experiences

World Kitchen Cafeteria At SOAS: An Amazing Place To Interact With Your Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SOAS London chapter.

I’m mostly just exposed to my classmates and friends, and probably a few other familiar faces from my dorms. The World Kitchen cafeteria, thus, has become a fun and exciting place for me to catch up with my friends, eat lunch, and maybe catch a glimpse of a crush. I kid you not when I say crush because I have a new one every week and that is only a testimony of how kind and gorgeous some SOASians are when you intentionally try to interact with them. 

It’s important to remember that crushes come and go. While it’s exciting to have a new one each week, it’s also important not to let them distract us from our studies. However, we can’t deny that whether we’re in high school, college, or even beyond, crushes can make our hearts race and cheeks blush. They can be fun, girly, quirky, and downright hilarious, at times. So, grab your popcorn and get ready for a fun and entertaining read!

First things first, let’s talk about the excitement of having a crush: it’s like a rush of adrenaline that makes you feel alive and invigorated. I find myself daydreaming about them and even doodling a random nickname I’ve given them in my notebook because I hardly ever know their names (oops!). It’s all part of the fun, right?

Let’s not forget the quirky and hilarious moments that come along with having a crush. This one time, he asked me how I was and by the sight of his pretty eyes I said, “My name is fine and you?” That was enough to make me want to crawl under a rock and hide!

But even with all the ups and downs, having a crush can be a seriously fun and girly experience. You might find yourself putting on your favourite lip gloss or outfit when you know you’ll be seeing them. Or maybe you’ll spend hours scrolling through Pinterest looking for the perfect outfit to wear on your imaginary date with them. It’s all part of the fun and excitement of having a crush!

So, if you’re feeling confused, shy, or downright giddy when you spot your crush at the cafeteria, just know that you’re not alone. Crushes are a natural and normal part of life, and having them can be a seriously entertaining and enjoyable experience. So next time you’re in the World Kitchen and are fumbling on your words, please be kind and if you’re like me — daydreaming about your crush or tripping over your own feet when they walk by — just embrace the fun and enjoy the ride, they never notice, anyway!

Tueurora Kaatahi

SOAS London '23

A creative, Poet, Writer and Fashion & Trends Researcher. Currently pursuing MA Global Creative and Cultural Industries. My mission is to bring Africa to the world and participate in the digital transformative age.