Wellness > Mental Health

Dealing With Seasonal Depression As An International Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SOAS London chapter.

Something that I have in common with a lot of my friends who also happen to be international students is that we’ve all had our fair share of anxieties and depressive episodes. If you are someone or might know of anyone else who is currently going through the same, do read on to understand a few coping mechanisms that helped me and a few people I know.

Start with basic tasks and appreciate yourself once you’re able to finish them

Make your bed after you wake up, have breakfast even if it means just eating cornflakes with milk, take a bath, and leave your room.
All of these might seem too basic, but can actually act as major mood lifters when nothing seems to be going your way. Even if you have an absolutely terrible day, you’ll know that you at least accomplished a few tasks that you were meant to. It is a big relief to return to a bed that has already been made at the end of one’s day.

Make a list of absolutely necessary academic and work commitments and focus just on those instead of trying to do everything

It might be impossible to do everything when you’re having a depressive episode. Thus, making a list of things that are absolutely necessary would ensure that you’re able to give your mental and emotional energy to at least a few things. Without such a list, however, chances are that you’ll be stuck trying to focus on all your commitments and will end up not doing anything at all.

It is important to remember that you don’t have to do things alone. Inform your professors and colleagues about your state of mind and request them to either support you or give you some extra time. Keeping others in loop does help.

Make another (super long) list of things and people you are grateful for

Depression, at times, makes us focus on the things that are upsetting us to the point where it stops us from appreciating the good stuff in our lives. When you’re having a depressive episode, it is important to push yourself a little and make a long list of things, people, events, life chances and other things that you might be grateful for. Keep adding on to that list till and returning to it in moments of hopelessness. It will, ultimately, make you feel much lighter.

Take a walk, it really helps

Once again, this might appear as a small thing, but can change your mood drastically. If you’re in a new country, try and explore new parks and public spaces that you’ve never been to. If that doesn’t work for you, just go to the nearest market place around your house or accommodation and take in all the details of all the happenings over there. Sometimes, being around strangers at crowded places can help one forget about their worries.

Watch a movie with a friend or a family member from back home over Flickcall or Zoom

Talking and ranting in front of friends and family members from back home might be therapeutic, but watching something entertaining and humorous with them genuinely heals one’s soul.
If you’re worried about not being able to come out of a depressive episode or feel as if you don’t have enough support, just schedule a Flickcall or a Zoom call with someone who might be a continent away and watch a rom-com or a few episodes of Schitt’s Creek with them. This will make your bond stronger and will also help you feel more stable.

Try to attend classes even if you feel exhausted (You’ll thank yourself for IT once your day ends)

It is natural to wake up feeling heavy and not having enough energy to even get out of bed, let alone attend classes.
However, try your best to not miss class. It might take a lot of effort to get ready and it might also seem intimidating to be around so many people in class. But, sitting in a classroom full of people, engaging in class discussions or simply soaking in whatever the others are saying can be extremely healthy for you. Not only will that take your mind off all the negative thoughts that you might be having, it will also make you feel slightly more productive than you were when you woke up. That, in every way, will lead you to thank yourself when your day comes to an end.

Initiate an emergency dance party

An emergency dance party is a concept that was mentioned in Rainbow Rowell’s book, Fangirl (2013) in which the main protagonist and her twin sister could start an emergency dance party whenever they’d be having a bad day. The rules are simple: you play music and dance wholeheartedly.
If you think having an emergency dance party on your own will help, just listen to dance numbers that work for you and dance your heart out. Else, you can call over a friend or two whom you trust. Or better, schedule a Zoom call with your best friends from your home country and dance with them.
Remember that dancing helps one shake off all the negativity they might be feeling.

The articles linked to this profile are written by individuals who: 1.) Don't have a Her Campus profile; 2.) Wish to remain anonymous; 3.) Have graduated from SOAS. This profile can also used to publish Her Campus and SOAS news, which authors might not necessarily want to link to their names.