This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

During the hectic and expensive time that is the beginning of the semester, the last thing you can prioritize is shopping. Unfortunately, the parties, clubs and events you attend bring shopping to the top of your mind, even though your hard-earned summer money was just spent on textbooks. What can you do to achieve the style you want on a budget you can afford?

Thrift!

Dallas is home to a huge thrifting scene that satisfies a variety of budgets. These are some of my favorite thrift stores in and around the metroplex where you can find great pieces and, considering that styles from the ’80s and ’90s are being upcycled, the best place to get on-trend pieces. 

1. Buffalo Exchange

This is my personal favorite place to thrift. Buffalo Exchange is a consignment store, so you can sell your stuff and use the money you earn to get some amazing statement pieces. It is not the cheapest option, but you can find some great items for significantly less than anywhere else. I have a really awesome vintage Morrissey shirt from there and it’s one of my favorite possessions.

2. Plato’s Closet

This is similar to Buffalo Exchange, but more on-trend items as opposed to vintage. There are a couple locations throughout the Metroplex, and they have great prices. This is also a consignment store!

3. Uptown Cheapskate

Uptown Cheapskate is the final consignment store on my list. It is also extremely close to campus. I haven’t been here as much as I’ve been to the first two listed, but they have a gigantic selection! The staff was also really helpful and there is just a generally nice vibe.

4. The Salvation Army Family Store & Donation Center

I like this store for cheaper options. You definitely have to dig a little bit more to find what you’re looking for, but the savings are worth it. This is a really good place to get basic items or if you’re need an outfit for a themed party.

5. Goodwill

Everyone has heard of Goodwill, and for good reason. This is a long-standing store, and there are consistently new and unique items. Like the Salvation Army, you’ll have to dig, but it’s a great option. You can also find some vintage decor to dress up your dorm!

6. Thrift City

This store is in Richardson, but it’s one of my favorites, and it’s not too far from campus! All of the clothes are sorted by size and color. It’s not so much of a dig, and they have special deal days and a reward program!

7. Family Thrift

Family Thrift is a drive, but absolutely worth it. They literally do days where everything in the store is 25¢. Check out the schedule online or call the store. You definitely have to sift through this stuff, and a lot of it is old, but I’ve found some AMAZING statement pieces and paid less than five dollars for a huge haul.

The hard part about thrifting is patience! You’ll find some really awesome stuff if you are willing to put in the time. The key to thrifting in Dallas is being open to trying new places and cultivating relationships with the people that run the stores. There is a really neat camaraderie between people that run thrift stores, it’s a really neat thing to be a part of!

All images from the stores’ websites.

We are the SMU Team.