Your 2016 SMU Homecoming Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Unfortunately,  Homecoming is over, and with that, we must wrap up our craft glitter, our pomping supplies, and our cute little puns about the road-tripping home to SMU. But don’t worry collegiettes, the fun does not have to stop at the same time the football game has been won (or lost, in our case). We have your wrap up right here, where you can see all the winners of the HoCo competitions, and keep that school pride going strong! The theme this year was “Road Trip Home to SMU,” and each group- typically fraternity and sorority pairs, but also some commons, clubs, and councils around campus- joined in and fashioned several crafts and projects to fit the theme of the event assigned. 

Field Day

The field day is just what you would imagine- a whole lot like fifth grade PE again, with running, wheelbarrows, speed eating, and things like that. This year’s winner was Chi Omega and Kappa Alpha Order!

Social Media Challenge

Each team created a picture that represented their state theme, and were challenged to share it on Facebook. Whoever gets the most votes wins, and this year’s winner was Tri Delta and Sigma Chi!

Banner

Each group paints a banner in the style of their theme, and things get pretty elaborate. Glitter will get you disqualified, so they’ve all got to think outside the box.

3rd Place

Kappa Alpha Theta and Pike: Alaska

2nd Place

Crum Commons: Tennessee

1st Place

Tri Delta and Sigma Chi: Florida

CAN-struction

The cans used in this activity are all donated to homeless shelters, and groups are given extra points if their elaborate contortion of cans could make an actual meal.

3rd Place-

This was a TRIPLE Tie for Alpha Chi Omega/Beta Theta Pi with Peruna’s Canned Castle (Hawaii), Delta Gamma/Beta Upsilon Chi with the Golden Gate Bridge (California) and the Lyle/Theta Tau/Mustang 11 Group with their Corner of Broadway cans(New York)! Way to go!

2nd Place-

Tri Delta and Sigma Chi with a can Disney World for Florida!

1st Place

Kappa Alpha Theta and Pike: A can igloo for Alaska!

Peruna Painting

Each group paints a horse shaped like our school mascot, Peruna. He’s obviously the best, so everyone must honor him through arts and crafts once a year. You’d be surprised what people come up with.

3rd Place

Crum Commons: with their Tennessee Country Music themed Peruna

2nd Place

Kappa Alpha Theta and PIKE: again, “chilling out, Alaskan, and relaxing all cool” seems to work for this group!

1st Place

Alpha Chi Omega and Beta Theta Pi: Aloha AChiO and good Beta, because this pair is riding the waves to success!

King and Queen

Our king was voted as Alec Bucshon, of Kappa Alpha Order and our queen was Madison McKay of Chi Omega!

Congratulations to everyone for their hard work on Homecoming! We all had a lot of fun, even if we didn’t win the game, a whole lot of spirit made us glad we all took the road trip home to SMU!

All photos by Moriah Raisis unless otherwise linked.

SaveSave

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.