Why We Love Her Campus at SMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Why should you join the staff of Her Campus at Southern Methodist University? Well, there are a lot of reasons, like how Her Campus is the top global community for college women. But why do we keep coming back to HCSMU? Here’s the word from our writers.

“I loved writing for Her Campus because I was surrounded by like-minded women and was able to write about things that truly interested me. I could bring important topics to college women’s attention that were not covered on other on-campus news sources.” – Alexis Kopp, former writer and Facebook Contributor

“Writing for SMUHC has given me a chance to write with a positive perspective. I don’t need to be doing heavy investigative reporting to get writing experience and find my voice. I’ve met women with spectacular accomplishments already under their belts and even brighter futures ahead. Regardless of age, major, Greek house affiliation, I’ve had the chance to show off the amazing women who attend SMU, all while building up my clips, networking and learning along the way. In addition, I’ve gotten to work together with other writers during our brainstorming and assignment meetings and make some new friends! Some of us love writing about food, others love finding the latest make up trends and sharing it with our readers and there are always the women ready to talk about every controversial topic of the day. We’re a group of writers with all manners of interests and voices, and I love the opportunity to work with and learn from this group with every new article our chapter posts.” –Callie Rosenwasser, writer

“I love HCSMU because of the passionate, driven women I get to work with and the ability to share my voice with the rest of the community!” –Neha Husein, writer

“My favorite part of writing for Her Campus SMU is that I’m allowed to use my own voice. I’ve had the freedom to pursue stories that I was passionate about. This creative freedom has allowed me to jump back and forth from covering the presidential administration to SMU organizations to literature. Moreover, I have gotten to present my ideas about these topics using my own point of view.” –Grace Reon, writer  

“Her Campus at SMU gives me the opportunity to pursue my love for writing, meet intelligent and creative women, and provides me with opportunities to grow my resume while doing something I love. Her Campus has also grown my network and opened my eyes to how many people I can reach and influence with the right support team behind me.” –Karna Small, writer, Pinterest Contributor, and incoming Social Media Director

“Her Campus is a great way to meet people first semester that have a common interest in journalism, and sometimes we get free beauty goodies too!” –Allison Aprahamian, Marketing Director

“Joining Her Campus SMU has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in my time at college. It gives me a platform to write about all the things that I’m passionate about or that I find entertaining. Especially when college is filled with writing long and boring essays, getting to write about something fun and personally relevant is amazing. Her Campus SMU has also connected me to a network of ambitious, creative and empowering women, choosing to take media into their own hands. This organization is where I met my best friend, as well as many other young women who I know will change the world. Whatever you’re passionate about, whatever you love doing, Her Campus SMU will be there to offer it to you.” –Sydney Fellner, writer and Events Director

“Her Campus at SMU embodies the unique perspective of college women. She’s smart, she’s savvy, she’s involved but she is still looking to have fun. Her Campus is more than a news outlet or a lifestyle blog, it is where college women can share their voices. The women who write for SMU are clever and creative, and they come from all areas of campus. We get to write about what we want, how we want to, and we get to tell about the lives of the ladies at SMU. Through this organization I have found my voice as a writer and my passion for editing, and I have met my best friend and my mentors. It’s so much more than just a magazine.”- Moriah Raisis, Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief

So do you want to be a part of our community at SMU? You can! Apply to join as a writer or a photographer here. We can’t wait to see what you’ll bring to our team!

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.