While You Were Away: New Places to Eat, Shop and Hang Out in Dallas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Rapscallion 

It seems like every week there’s a new trendy spot opening its doors on lower Greenville, the newest being a modern take on Southern dining from the same owners of brunch-favorite Boulevardier. Rapscallion has become an instant hit and the place fills up quickly. The Nashville-style hot chicken, creole mac ‘n‘ cheese, and adult milkshakes will become your go-to hangover cure.

Fried Chicken at Rapscallion, courtesy of the Dallas Observer

Planet BlueThe Cali-based boutique opened its first Texas location on Knox Henderson in early July. Shop for your perfect ACL outfit or for easy-breezy sundresses and rompers to keep you cool on hot class days.  The store carries tons of formal-ready looks from lines like For Love & Lemons, Nightcap and Stone Cold Fox as well as more casual tees from Private Party, Wildfox and Chaser.  The impressive range of jewelry and swimwear makes sure you have all bases covered.     

The Heights 

The Heights in Lakewood is a little like getting a nice home-cooked meal, but trendier. Breakfast is available starting at 7 a.m. and their Nutella cinnamon rolls are a quick treat when there’s no time for brunch.  The neighborhood spot is a casual option for a dinner out.    

Masque

Uptown’s latest luxury boutique lounge and nightclub opened above Fat Rabbit on McKinney.  The small club is beautifully decorated with burlesque-like waitresses and tables available.  Only time will tell if this will become an alternative to the beloved/hated “Nu” and Rio Room.  

Masque nightclub, Courtesy of Facebook

Quesa

Dallas’ newest place for tacos serves up authentic Mexican street food and has a bar that “specializes” in tequila with a variety of flavored margaritas including chamoy, jalapeño, strawberry, mango and tamarind.  Taco options include beef, chicken, seafood, pork and vegetarian, and are available wrapped in corn or flour tortillas as well as lettuce wraps. The restaurants specialty, the quesa, are similar to savory empanadas and stuffed with meat and cheese.  

Quesa Tacos, courtesy of Quesa

Accessory Concierge

Starting originally as a Facebook flash sale page, Accessory Concierge just opened their first brick-and-mortar location on Lovers Lane.  The new store is the perfect place to dress up any outfit or shop for gifts at an affordable price.  Accessories range from $25 to $50 and the staff loves to help with any styling.    

Courtesy of Accessory Concierge

Wabi House

Dallas’ newest destination for ramen just opened on lower Greenville.  Decent portions and lower prices will definitely draw in the collage crowd.  Five different types of ramen are available but the best news may be that Wabi House will be open late. The restaurant will also discount their ramen bowls on Fridays and Saturdays from 11 p.m. until midnight.    

Wabi House, courtesy of the Dallas Observer

Lion & Witch

Want something to make a statement at the next boulevard, party, or uptown night? Check out the new Lion & Witch boutique from the same owner as SMU favorite Milk & Honey boutique.  Named after C.S. Lewis‘ The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, the store is designed to look like a giant black wardrobe with colorful treasures inside.  Browse trendy pieces from labels such as Cameo, Amanda Uprichard, Kris Nations and Stylestalker. The store also carries the owner’s own line, b.york. 

Courtesy of Lion & Witch       

TBD

TBD is the newest restaurant-club combo to open in Uptown. Stop in for small bites like tuna tacos, flat breads, lobster mac & cheese or a cheese plate. Come back to party as the restaurant transforms into an upscale boutique lounge.  

Courtesy of TBD Dallas

SMU Senior from Nashville, TN majoring in Advertising with a minor in Fashion Media.  
We are the SMU Team.