Which is Best For You? Eyelash Extensions Versus False Eyelashes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Regardless of their eye or skin color, most women attempt to enhance their own beauty by drawing attention to their eyes. The quest for longer lashes is constant. Eyelash extensions and false eyelashes are both good options. Here’s a few tips to help you decide which is best for you.

Eyelash extensions are not cheap but they are fabulous. Lash salons have been gaining in popularity for the past few years. Amazing Lash Studios is one of several salons located in Dallas and several cities across the country. They offer a $79.99 introductory full set. Members return for a $59 fill-in every 2-3 weeks.

Lashes are made from real human hair, natural mink or synthetic materials. You select the length and style of the lashes. Then lay back and enjoy a wonderful grown-up nap for about 90 minutes while the stylist applies your individual lashes with semi-permanent medical-grade adhesive. 

These lashes should last about 2-3 weeks before a return trip for a “fill-in” is necessary. The client is limited to oil-free products only around the eye. A serum can be purchased to use on your lashes to seal them and maintain their glossiness. You will want to seriously decrease your time in water and be careful not to rub or pull on your new lashes. Sleeping on your back will greatly extend the length of time your extensions will last. Your natural lashes will continue their normal growth cycle and the synthetic extensions will fall out with the natural ones. The option to return to the salon at any time to add on for a special occasion ($35) or completely remove is always available.

Extensions are perfect for women who want fuller natural looking lashes and for the glamour girls who crave Kardashian style lashes. Waking up to beautiful lashes that do not require mascara is truly amazing!

False eyelashes are an affordable option for women who have a bit more time in their beauty routine and may only use them occasionally.

Applying false eyelashes is quite easy. A thin line of adhesive is applied to the lash band of the false lashes. A quick wipe to remove excess glue while you wait 30-45 seconds to allow the glue to become tacky aids in getting it right the first try. False eyelashes can be damaging to your natural lashes if an excessive amount of glue is used, then ripped off. Sleeping in false eyelashes is a definite “no no” as it can block the glands of the lash line and cause infection.

ARDELL, HUDA, LILLY and M.A.C. brands are all widely used throughout the beauty industry. The “Individual lashes” are sold in a package for as little as $5 and allow the user to customize the exact location where the lashes are placed. Manufacturers also makes several styles of complete lashes ranging from $5 to $50.

Feature image courtesy of Eyelashtalk.com.

SaveSave

We are the SMU Team.