What “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” Tells Us About Being Authentic—And How to Achieve this In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With the first few weeks of school rolling in, maybe you missed the recent release of “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” on Netflix. Maybe you remember Shannon Purser as Barb from “Stranger Things” or Noah Centineo from “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.” But, this new Netflix flick combines the talent of both these actors in the journey of a new romantic comedy: where a texting mix-up meets young love.

The movie is centered on Sierra (Shannon Purser), an insecure and awkward teenage girl trying to figure out her place in the world. Jamey (Noah Centineo) mistakenly texts Sierra, thinking it’s Veronica (Kristine Froeseth), a popular cheerleader and token “mean girl”. As the pair hits it off, Sierra enlists Veronica’s help to keep Jamey from finding out who he’s actually talking to. If you’ve ever read or seen the play “Cyrano de Bergerac,” this story might ring a few bells.

Without spoiling too much of the movie for those who haven’t seen it, the film shares some deep social commentary on how we present ourselves and often feel insignificant in everything that goes on around us. Most importantly, Sierra’s story shares the struggle many of us face in trying to be ourselves (something that every single one of us collegiettes can relate to). 

When it comes to college, being on campus is a big change from home. No matter what school you go to, it can all be overwhelming and it’s easy to lose yourself in classes, campus events, parties, studying…the endless list of things-to-do goes on. Like Sierra, we’re all at a time in our lives when we’re trying to discover who we are and where we belong. Despite the fact that so many things are changing, we should all feel more empowered to be more authentic, both in person and on the internet.

Being your authentic self isn’t as easy as it sounds but let me share a few things I saw in “Sierra Burgess” that reminded me about staying true to you in college…

1. Don’t feel pressured to change in college. Every high schooler has been told at one point that college is the time to reinvent yourself, but I really think it means college is a time to become a better version of yourself. In the film, as Sierra gets even more woven into pretending to be Veronica, she finds it harder and harder to be someone she isn’t. Sierra’s tale reminds us that we can’t pretend to be someone we’re not forever. So, it’s important not to lose your personality when you present yourself to the college world. 

2. You will find your people in college, and they’ll help you keep it real. There are so many new people to meet and hang out with, the Dan to your Sierra will eventually come your way. Maybe they won’t need to remind you that “it’s called catfishing and I’m pretty sure it’s illegal,” (as Dan candidly tells Sierra) but they’ll remind you of who you are. True friends will be your conscience and lift you up, not tear you down.

Image via Unsplash

3. Don’t shy away from people who aren’t exactly like you, either. Sierra and Veronica are two completely different people but as they spend time together, Sierra teaching Veronica philosophy and Veronica helping Sierra with Jamey, they actually find themselves in a blossoming friendship. Sometimes the people we never imagine ourselves getting to know actually become our best friends. 

4. Be honest and vulnerable. It is so easy for us to compare ourselves and compete with each other. With all the stress that comes with being in college, take that pressure off and open up, even if it’s hard. *Spoiler alert* By the end of the movie, when Sierra decides to tell the truth and be herself in front of Jamey, she is happier and more confident. The most fulfilling relationships come from accepting who you are and being yourself.

Image via Unsplash

5. Be real in college; be more than a carefully curated Instagram or flashy Snapchat story. When Sierra talks to Jamey through text or FaceTime, she’s hidden behind this veil of being a pretty, popular girl. But, the real things that Jamey likes about her is her personality, her interests, her humor, and her genuine enjoyment of talking with him. In college, these are the things that really matter.

Being authentic in college will help you grow and change for the better, dear collegiettes. Sierra realized it and so can we!

Isabelle is a first-year at Southern Methodist University studying biology and anthropology on the pre-med track. She is from Austin and loves doing anything outdoors, from hiking to scuba diving. When she's not in the library studying, Isabelle is out exploring Dallas, listening to 80s music, or fueling her addiction to chai tea at the nearest coffee shop.
We are the SMU Team.