Wellness > Mental Health

What it’s like to Live with a Mental Illness in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Unfortunately, we still live in a society where mental illness of all kinds is highly stigmatized; the community of a college is no exception. Despite the fact that 1 in 4 college students suffer from mental health issues, many are still reluctant to discuss their mental disorder and refrain from seeking help. This is what it is like to live with a mental illness in college.

1. Schoolwork is Hard (even more than it already is).

One of the most common side effects of depression and anxiety is an inability to concentrate. No matter how hard you try, you simply cannot stay focused on a single task or you may not have the energy to do anything at all. Getting to class is especially difficult for students with depression, who often struggle to just get out of bed in the morning. 

2. Parties aren’t always fun. 

For someone with generalized or social anxiety, parties can be more stressful than enjoyable. The loud noise, the pressure to socialize and the overly crowded areas can make people who are already prone to anxiety very uncomfortable. ​

3. All-nighters aren’t always a choice. 

Symptoms of anxiety and depression include changes in sleep, either insomnia (lack of sleep) or hypersomnia (increased sleep). Thus, staying up all night isn’t just a fun choice or product of procrastination — some can’t help it. 

4. Making — and keeping friends — is a challenge in an already stressful environment. 

As I mentioned before, a major product of depression is the inability to be active in any manner. While this is foremost an issue with class attendance and project completion, but it can also prove to be an obstacle to making friends. When you don’t have the energy to go out or text your friends, it can be hard to solidify the bonds of friendship needed in college.

If you are struggling with a mental illness, please seek help immediately.

You can call (214-768-2141) or visit the Crisis and Prevention Services website to make an appointment.

If you need more immediate assistance, please call 214-768-2277 to reach a clinician 24/7.

Note: everything you tell an SMU psychologist or psychiatrist is completely confidential, with only a few exceptions (threat to life (self and/or others), suspected child or elder abuse, previous abuse by a counselor, or demanded by a court order).

SMU’s Counseling Program’s Mission Statement: The mission of SMU Counseling Services is to offer SMU students a broad range of outpatient services, which are confidential and sensitive to issues of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference, and disabilities. Counseling Services promotes healthy student development and functioning via a comprehensive and collaborative approach to treatment. Counseling Services staff work closely together to provide four different levels of care: proactive/preventative education, evaluation, brief psychotherapy, and psychiatric consultation. In addition to the clinical services provided, counseling services staff also serve an integral function within the university community through involvement in various other aspects of student life and development including, but not limited to, teaching undergraduate courses, advising student organizations, participating in student affairs committees, implementing psycho-educational presentations & programs, and training doctoral-level psychology interns.

Mary Chamberlain Harlan is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. An ardent liberal, she is passionate about human rights and works with Spectrum, LGBT Panels, and TEDx SMU to raise awareness for the LGBT community. She has been obsessed with horror movies since age 8, when she first saw Poltergeist, and plans to write her senior thesis on the impact of the horror genre on the modern world.
We are the SMU Team.