Upperclassmen Housing around SMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

When looking for off campus housing, there are a few things you should consider before signing a lease.  One of the most important factors is location.  Distance to campus determines whether you walk or drive to class, and whether or not you can go home between classes.  Here are a few options for apartments close to campus. 

The BLVD Apartments

These are the go to apartments for anyone looking to easily find a place to live without the hassle of looking.  Many SMU students live here, so you would most likely be surrounded by classmates.  The BLVD offers one, two, and three bedroom apartments.  They are located on SMU Blvd., so the walk to class is not too far.  Mustang Express stops are also located on the side of the building so you can ride the bus to and from campus.  Torchy’s, Tacos, World of Beer, and Nodding Donkey are all located below the BLVD.  Kroger is also located down the street, so food is not a problem.  A gym, a pool, a tanning room, social rooms, and more are the amenities for BLVD residents.   

The Shelby

The Shelby Apartments are located on SMU Blvd. as well and are managed by the same company.  They are across the street from the BLVD and Twisted Root Burger Company is located below the residences.  Shelby tenants are allowed to use all of the amenities of the BLVD apartments.  The Shelby also has its own gym and outdoor area on the second floor.  Tenants include students, but many are working young adults.  So, the Shelby Apartments tend to be quieter than those of the BLVD. 

The Standard

The Standard Apartments are located on University Blvd.  These apartments have great amenities including a resort style swimming pool, an internet café, a clubhouse with a kitchen, a wellness and fitness center, and more.  The Standard offers floor plans for studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments.   These apartments are not in walking distance to campus, but they are a short drive. 

Rosedale and Normandy

If you don’t want to live in an apartment building and want a short walk to class, look for apartments on Rosedale and Normandy.  Places like the Summit have two to three rooms.  Many students live in apartments on these streets just because they are so close to campus. You won’t need a car to drive to class, but if you have one these apartments usually have their own garages. 

Make sure to start looking soon if you want an apartment for next year!  You can always hire a realtor to help you find the perfect apartment, or you can look yourself. 

Broadcast Journalism Major Advertising Minor From Orange County, California
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor