photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Unique Thanksgiving Dishes for People Who Don’t Eat Meat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Thanksgiving is coming up which means that soon everyone will be gathering around the table with their families to enjoy some delicious food. However, with the meal often focusing on turkey, stuffing, and other meat-filled delicacies, us vegetarians can feel a little left out. For those of you who are tired of bland tofurkey or being told to “just eat the sides”, here are some unique meatless Thanksgiving options so that you can enjoy the holiday festivities.

Apple, Walnut, and Cranberry Stuffed Squash

Photo via Paleoleap.com on Pinterest

This vegetarian recipe has a sweet combination of flavors and the walnuts add a bit of protein so it can be used as either a dessert or a main dish. It’s also gluten free, so it makes a great choice to please people with different dietary needs.

Cauliflower Steak with Mushroom Gravy

Photo via ohmyveggies.com on Pinterest

These flavor-packed pieces of cauliflower would make an amazing vegan and gluten free main course. Feel free to make an extra dish of mushroom gravy so you can have a delicious substitute for a classic Thanksgiving topping.

Lentil and Sweet Potato Sheperd’s Pie

Photo via canadianliving.com on Pinterest

This vegetarian twist on a popular dish is certain to satisfy both meat eaters and non meat eaters. The sweet potatoes mix with the savory lentil filling to make a unique and flavorful dish.

Pumpkin Soup

Photo via twospoons.ca on Instagram

This vegan recipe is perfect to keep you warm in the cold November weather. The spiced pumpkin broth, chickpeas, and kale give off cozy vibes that are perfect for Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Mac & Cheese

Photo via kalememaybe.com on Pinterest

This vegan comfort food will go great with any main dish. The pumpkin sauce and seasoning makes this an ideal Fall recipe.

Tofu Pot Pie

Photo via Minimalist Baker on Pinterest

This pot pie is loaded with delicious vegetables and tofu, making it a very healthy main course for your Thanksgiving meal. It’s easy to make as well as a classic Fall comfort food.

Falafel with Cranberry Pear Dip

Photo via veganheaven.org on Pinterest

This unique version of your typical Thanksgiving cranberry sauce makes a great vegan appetizer to please all of your guests. The flavors of the falafel and the cranberries create a tasty combination of savory and sweet.

Ravioli with Pumpkin and Ricotta

Photo via lazycatkitchen.com on Pinterest

Ravioli may seem like an odd choice for Thanksgiving, but the vegan cheese filling and the sweet pumpkin flavor is certain to impress vegans and non vegans alike.

Thanksgiving is a wonderful occasion to enjoy an amazing meal and spend time with your family. Try these unconventional, meatless takes on typical dishes to prepare an unforgettable dinner that is both delicious and ethical.

Chloe is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University. She is from Dallas, TX and loves boba tea, good music, and all things fashion related.
We are the SMU Team.