jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Turn the EDM Down, It’s Fall Time Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Fall is here and it is officially time to put your Migos tracks and Louis the Child remixes into hibernation (unless it’s OT Wednesday and you’re getting ready to go out) and flip on some slightly cozier tunes. So gather around, snuggle with your comfiest blanket, throw on some fuzzy socks, and hang out with some good Fall tunes.

So far, I have a playlist of around 30 songs for my personal Fall Mood ’18 Spotify playlist, but I’ll just give you the highlights of some of my favorite artists that made the list:

1. First and foremost, any good Fall or soft vibe playlist needs some Bruno Major on it, a British Alt Indie artist whose songs will 100% make you want to sip on a Pumpkin Spice Latte and fall in love.

• “Easily”
  • “Wouldn’t Mean A Thing”

2. One of my favorite artists at the moment is 21-year-old Jorja Smith. Her R&B vibe has a bit of a soulful elegance to it while still being young and relatable.

• “Beautiful Little Fools”
  • “Carry Me Home”

3. Sabrina Claudio’s voice is one that soothes the soul and really relaxes and captures the listener with her airy and melodic sound

• “Tell Me – Acoustic”
  • “Orion’s Belt”

4. If you’re into that old sound without actually listening to oldies, Leon Bridges’ is the perfect artist. His vibe has often been compared to the warm sounds of Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. His songs range from gospel to tastefully provocative ballads and they are all works of art.

• “Mrs.”
  • “Lisa Sawyer”
  • “Daisy Mae”

5. New York native Mac Ayres isn’t as widely known, but his effortless blending of a sound that is electronic, hip-hop and R&B is truly commendable.

• “Easy”
  • “I’ve Always Been”

6. I really hope that the iconic group Fleetwood Mac doesn’t need an introduction, but if for some reason you haven’t heard of them, I like to describe them as a spooky, Boho group whose songs improve any mood. Flitting between a rock, pop, blues and soulful sound, they’ve really mastered it all.

• “The Chain”
  • “Dreams”

7. If I don’t stop somewhere, I really will just keep going, so to round it out, let’s talk about 16-year-old Billie Eilish. Working with her older brother, Finneas, to gift the world with eerie songs that almost seem to haunt you, she definitely does not have the sound or lyrics of a high schooler.

• “hostage”
  • “idontwannabeyouanymore”

Enjoy these carefully selected songs from my ultimate Fall playlist. Hopefully they’ll help you stay in the Fall mood even though the weather doesn’t know how to!

Madison Drummond is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University studying Journalism and Human Rights. Born in Southern California, a few of her passions include finding new music, going to the movies, dr pepper, and corgis!
We are the SMU Team.