Top of the Lake: The Feminist Show You Should Already Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Elisabeth Moss has changed the face of modern feminist television. Starting with her breakout performance in “Mad Men” as the simplistic secretary Peggy Olson, molded into the resilient “tough” copy-writer, to her stunning performance in the much adored and highly admired TV version of Margaret Atwood’s “A Handmaid’s Tail,” Moss never ceases to star in roles that both inspire and amaze young women. “Top of the Lake” is the newest addition to Elisabeth Moss’s small screen feminist takeover.

Photo via Digital Spy

The show centers on a young unexperienced detective (Elisabeth Moss as Detective Robin Griffin) who is thrown into navigating the dense and dark waters of a male-dominated police station, sexist drug lords, and a town that is domineered by the patriarchy. Her goal? To find an intelligent and capable 14-year-old pregnant girl who has run away from her abusive father. Moss’s character faces unfair treatment, sexual assault and heartbreak to create an intriguing and discussion-worthy view of women with professions in the criminal justice industry. Not only does the show focus around a multitude of sexist obstacles, but the script is just too good to be true. With engaging characters and a beautiful New Zealand backdrop, you will surely be engrossed in this suspenseful, thought provoking, Golden Globe winning mystery crime drama series. Worthy of multiple binge-watching sessions, you will surely regret not watching this SundanceTV series. Don’t even get me started on Season 2. Season two (SPOILER ALERT) features Nicole Kidman, Gwendolyn Christie from “Game of Thrones” and a new mystery involving the illegal sex-worker and IVF industry in Australia. Faced with some similar challenges, Moss shows a new side of Detective Robin Griffin, one that has more grit and stamina and one that won’t and won’t’t take sh!t from anyone.

A real triumph to hard working women everywhere, “Top of the Lake” is a phenomenon you definitely won’t want to miss out on. 

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest 

Ashni Pabley is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Public Relations and English. She loves all books, alternative music, and Quentin Tarantino films and has a passion for black coffee and inspiring stories. Stay tuned! 
We are the SMU Team.