This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Lent is alsmot here people! 40 days of giving something up to make you a better person. Don’t worry, it’s not as long as you think! It can be anything from giving up candy to giving up social media. Here are a few ideas to get you started! 

Artificial Sweetner

Fake sugar in your coffee has a lot of negatives to it. It’s hard on the body and it’s hoenstly healthier to just use real sugar in your coffee or tea. 

Snapchat

This is an addictive social media app. It has it’s perks, but sometimes I feel like I need a break from it.

Dessert

Dessert is typically the best part of the meal, but a lot of the time I could go without it. A meal doesn’t always have to end with a sweet treat. 

Cuss Words

If you need to better your vocabulary, consider giving up using cuss words. Cussing isn’t the most appropriate thing to do at times, but it does have it’s uses.

Netflix 

Netlfix takes up a huge chunk of my day and it needs to stop. Read a book or go on a walk instead!

French Fries

My go-to side at restaurant is alwasy french fries and it needs to change. I hate feeling greasy and gross after I eat, but fries are just too good to resist.

Gum

Chewing gum actually makes you bloated and can create tummy discomfort. I used to chew so much gum, but I started to cut back some.

Tik Tok

The hype this app has gotten is amazing and scary at the same time. All I want to do now is watch Tik Toks and it needs to stop.

Soda

Soda has been proven to be quite the unhealthy drink. Help your body out and give it up fro 40 days. 

Sleeping in

Our bodies get more tired naturally the more you snooze that alarm clock. Do yourself a favor and just get up once it rings. 

I hope this helps you figure out what to give up for Lent. Remember it’s only 40 days, so it’s not forever. Make a good change in yourself or for yourself!

I am a sophomore at Southern Methodist University and I intend to double major in Public Relations and Political Communication with a minor in English. I am our chapter's Her Campus President and am so happy to be in a leadership role in a field I am passionate about! I am from Dallas, Texas and journalism has been a big part of my life all through high school and the years I have spent so far in college.
We are the SMU Team.