The Top 10 Podcasts to Listen to in Your Down Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Photo via Paulette Wooten

Podcasts are defined as:

Podcast [pod-kast, ‐kahst]

1. a digital audio or video file or recording, usually part of a themed series, that can be downloaded from a website to a media player or computer.

In my opinion, they’re the best new media form, although they’re not entirely new, as they have roots in the 1980’s. I love listening to them while working out, driving, and generally doing nothing. Here are the top ten podcasts (in no particular order) and why:

1.  “My Favorite Murder“: The easiest answer is the first one. This cult classic is hosted by two friends that self-identify as true crime addicts. Listen to major stories and callers that talk about murders in their hometowns. If you too love true crime, you’re sure to be fascinated by the stories that are shared in this podcast. It starts off with the Jonbenet Ramsey story, which is an incredibly complicated and controversial unsolved murder case. 
  2. Self Service“: Hosted by GirlBoss editor Jerico Mandybur, this podcast focuses on the truth of self-care and self-love – as she describes it, an “inner-beauty school”. She interviews psychologists and astrologists for a twist on the usual self-care spiel. Even if you don’t believe in astrology, as Mandybur points out, it can still be a great prompter for self-reflection.
  3. Help! I Suck at Dating with Dean Unglert”: To be honest, if you don’t follow the “Bachelor” franchise, this podcast may not make as much sense. Dean, a “The Bachelorette” alum, discusses his own dating troubles and seeks to find out what makes people who suck at dating find themselves in such sticky situations. Even if you didn’t follow him on TV, you’re sure to identify and get some laughs.
  4. Stuff Mom Never Told You: As my mom frequently asks me why I don’t know things, I find this podcast particularly great. It deals with real word issues and gives the “research-driven rundown” to talk about them. If you’re curious if marriage can be feminist or if putting a woman’s face on the $10 bill will help with gender equality, give this podcast a listen.
  5. TedTalks: While this isn’t one specific podcast (as there are different branches: health, business, technology, etc.), I love these because they’re often shorter than normal podcasts, between five and twenty-five minutes, and keep me up to date on a variety of issues. If you already love TedTalk videos, the jump to podcasts will be easy.
  6. Skimm’d From the Couch: This podcast is all about female empowerment. While it just started on February 7th, the first epis
Courtney is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Marketing with a concentration in entrepreneurship and a Spanish and advertising minor. Lover of puppies, writing, How I Met Your Mother, and anything crafty. When she's not attending one of a hundred meetings, you can find her wrapped up in bed pretending to work while really editing Spotify playlists or watching Hart of Dixie.
We are the SMU Team.