This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With the arrival of some really great weather, I’ve realized that fall is fast approaching! I’m more than ready for the cute outfits, cold drinks, and not getting sweaty every time I’m outside for more than a minute. One reason I love autumn is that it’s particularly fun to wear cute outfits during this time of year. There’s just something about bundling up in the cold in fall colors that make me so excited! This year, I’ve dedicated myself to trying to elevate my outfits a little, so here are some tips I’ve come up with to help improve on fall looks. 

Add a sweater 

Sweaters are probably my favorite part of fall. You can wear them with anything – jeans, skirts, or even over a dress. Including a sweater in your look is a surefire way to both stay warm and make a basic outfit cuter. My current favorites are balloon-sleeve sweaters and turtlenecks! Madewell and Target are two of my go-to places for cute sweaters. 

Include some corduroy 

Hear me out on this one! Corduroy keeps you warm and is one of those fabrics that just exudes cozy autumn vibes. Adding a thicker fabric like corduroy and mixing textures adds some dimension to an outfit, too. It looks cute as a skirt, jacket, or even pants. I’d recommend getting it in a warm-toned color, such as red, burgundy, orange, or brown. 

Boots!

I feel like boots are a great staple to always have in your closet. They’re a good subtle yet effective addition to a fall outfit. If you’re wearing a dress, I’d recommend tall boots, and for pants or leggings, I’d go with some ankle boots. A pair of classic Doc Martins will also go with pretty much any fall outfit and looks especially great with black jeans. 

Experiment with denim 

With the added layers of clothing that inevitably accompany fall weather, you have a great opportunity to try out different styles of jeans, denim jackets, or even denim skirts. I’d recommend trying out mom jeans sometime this fall – they look great with pretty much any top or sweater. Another style of jeans that adds a fun element to an outfit is flared/bell bottoms. They have a fun, 70s vibe that’s perfect for fall. You could also try a denim skirts – they go great with some tights, ankle boots, and a long-sleeved top. 

Layers, layers, layers 

One way I love to have fun with my cold weather outfits is by using cardigans, sweaters, and tops to make several different cute layer combinations. Something I think can help when you need inspo for a new outfit this fall is adding a cardigan to whatever you’re wearing (thank you, Taylor Swift). If it’s really cold out, don’t be afraid to put whatever jacket you’re wearing on over the cardigan. Another fun way to layer is taking one of your favorite short-sleeved or spaghetti strap tops and adding a simple, fitted long-sleeved tee underneath. It looks cute and lets you still wear one of your summer tops when it’s cold out. 

Check out thrift stores 

Fall fashion doesn’t have to be new or expensive to be cute. One easy way to find affordable and cute pieces to add to your fall wardrobe while also making sure you’re consuming ethically is by thrifting! I’ve found some great items that have elevated my fall outfits at Goodwill, such as cozy sweaters or skirts. Thrifting is also a great way to find interesting items you might not see in the stores you normally shop at. 

These are just a few things I feel can help spice up your fall looks, but I think the most important thing is just not being scared to try new things! If you’re never bought a certain type of clothing item, this fall is the perfect time to try it out and make a cute outfit out of it. Hopefully these tips have given you some inspiration on how to get the most out of your fall outfits in 2020!

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.