A Survival Guide to Learning + Living at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

While quarantine may have ended for most when fall classes began, for some of us returning to campus just wasn’t in the cards. Managing the stress of online class, a national pandemic, and living with your parents can be a lot to deal with. Here are some of the experiences we’ve had living at home, and some of our tips to make the best of less than ideal circumstances. 

FOMO

There was something slightly comforting about suffering together, we were all cooped up inside, making strong cocktails and gossiping about our siblings over zoom. But suddenly you’re trapped at home while your friends are back at bars. The best thing you can do when you start to feel like your missing out is to get off of social media. Put down your phone and do something that you know you enjoy. Some of my favorite healthy distractions include cartoons or movies, YouTube, arts and crafts, painting my nails, and facemasks. There’s a good chance there’s something you’ve been wanting to try or need to do and just haven’t made the time. Whether it’s an art project or just cleaning your room, this is a great time to put on some music and check things off your todo list. 

Distractions

I don’t need to explain to you the major differences between online and in person learning, but hopefully I can help you navigate some of the distractions. I definitely underestimated the challenges of remote learning. Although a lecture seems like the same format, the disconnected environment presents numerous distractions. To help with this, put your phone in a different room when you’re in class and turn your laptop on do not disturb. Try to have your camera on so you feel some sense of accountability. Set up your workspace before class, and have your notes ready. And lastly don’t hesitate to reach out to your professors if you feel like you are struggling. Forming a relationship with them will make you feel more connected and accountable for your performance in the class. In addition teachers are missing the in person connection and will value the time you take to reach out, that relationship could always help you in the future.

Organization

Organization is another big thing ive been struggling with. On campus class had a designated place, studying could happen at the library, and my room was designated for chill or social time. When you’re confined to your house its often hard to separate work from play. If your classes and your resting happen in the same space, you may feel less motivated to get work done. Carve out a place to be productive, weather its your dining room table or a local coffee shop, this is the best way to recreate the studious feelings of the library. 

Opportunity

Lastly I want to stress that this doesn’t have to be a negative time. While it may feel like you are being unproductive or missing out on your college experience try to embrace this as an opportunity. It may not be what you wanted, we will likely not get the chance to work remotely again. Use this time to work on that side project you’ve always dreamed of but just didn’t have space for. It could be a blog, a remote internship, or even just cleaning out your closet. There are positive ways to use this time, its just up to you to seek them out!

We know the pandemic hasn’t been easy on anyone, but it may be especially tough for those who feel like they are missing out. We appreciate that everyone’s situation is unique and that not everyone can feel safe returning to campus. Nonetheless we hope these tips make for a safe and productive fall term.

Grace is a freshman at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Fashion Media. Born in Seattle and raised in San Fransisco, Grace loves cities and the amazing culture that comes with them. A few of her favorite things are art and fashion, and she loves exploring museums.
We are the SMU Team.