Staff Spotlight: HCSMU Staff Writer Grace Reon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

HCSMU: What are you studying? 

Grace Reon: I’m a pre-major planning on studying public policy and political science! 

HCSMU: Whar year are you?

GR: First year. 

HCSMU: What do you do with Her Campus SMU?

GR: I’m a staff writer. I tend to focus on pieces related to politics and political culture, as well as classroom survival tips. 

HCSMU: What other organizations are you involved with (Greek life, volunteering, clubs, etc.)?

GR: I’m a member of Sigma Phi Lambda, a Christian sorority here on campus, and I’m involved with SMU Wesley Ministry. Also, I get to travel the country debating with SMU Debate. 

HCSMU: What has been your favorite class at SMU? Why?

GR: This is really close- but I am loving Technology, Society, and Value with Professor Ken Daley. We get to discuss issues like using technology to give people superhuman capacities, automation of the workforce, and robots destroying the human race. Also, Professor Daley is both brilliant and hilarious! 

HCSMU: What does your dream future look like? 

GR: I would love to live abroad after I graduate, hopefully working for the UN or a non-governmental aid organization. My dream job would be doing policy analysis on aid projects in developing nations to determine what works and what doesn’t so we can improve those programs. I’m really passionate about global economic development, so working in that field would be a dream come true! Also, in my dream future I have a corgi, since they’re objectively the cutest dogs ever. 

HCSMU: What has been your favorite adventure to date? 

GR: My senior year of high school, I went on a cross-country road trip with my sister and my dad. We live in Virginia, but had to drop her off at Baylor for her senior year of college, so we drove her down and stopped and visited colleges along the way. Week long road trips with your family can drive you crazy (looking at you, Dad), but I’ll always cherish that trip because of the irreplaceable time I got to spend with my family. Sometimes we undersestimate the value of being goofy with loved ones! 

HCSMU: What is the biggest thing on your bucket list right now? 

GR: I still need to meet George W. Bush. As a political science major, I would be remiss if I went my whole time at SMU and never met “W.” 

India is a former campus correspondent at Southern Methodist University and a former national news blogger at HerCampus.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @IndiaPougher!
We are the SMU Team.