From Squib to Auror: A Ranking of the Boys from Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

I, personally, adore the Harry Potter universe and every character in it. In fact, sometimes I imagine what life would be like to live in their world. Magic, mischief and cute wizards! Oh, how one can wish. I decided to make a ranking list of the cutest boys the wizarding world has to offer. Now a quick disclaimer; I, a proud Gryffindor, am in no way making this a house-biased list. Each boy has been picked on account of their bravery and their oh so whimsical hair. Admit it, the Weasley twins circa the Triwizard Tournament had you blushing.

*HARRY POTTER SPOILERS AHEAD*

1. Neville Longbottom

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince/Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Neville returned to Hogwarts to work as a Herbology professor.

Description: Neville defined what it means to Longbottom, a Harry Potter term for a major “glow up.” With a gorgeous jawline and properly sized teeth, this underdog really showed the dark lord who’s boss. Bye bye, Nagini.

2. George Weasley

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: George and Fred were born on April Fool’s Day!

Description: With a wicked personality and long ginger hair to boot, this Weasley twin sure know how to turn heads.

3. Fred Weasley

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Fred is the older twin! JK Rowling confirmed this on Twitter in 2015.

Description:  While his twin peaked in GoF I personally think Fred never looked better than in the final fight. His death just made his fan base grow and we love our spunky twin, especially with that short hair. 

4. Draco Malfoy

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

House: Slytherin

Fun Fact: Draco spent most of his adulthood studying alchemy.

Description: White hair, pale skin, you must be a Malfoy! This sly and cunning wizard burrowed into all of our hearts from the beginning and there’s no denying it. When he wears that black suit in Half-Blood Prince it makes me want to scream – we love a brooding wizard.

5. Seamus Finnegan

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Seamus’ patronus is a fox and his skills lie within pyrotechnics (go figure!).

Description: Oh baby, he sets me on fire! No, literally, he’s set everything on fire. With short spiky hair and a to-die-for Irish accent, Seamus makes all the wizards and witches scream.

6. Cedric Diggory

House: Hufflepuff

Fun Fact: Fleur used her Veela magic on Cedric to ask him to the Yule Ball.

Description: Oh, sweet, sweet Cedric! His fancy hair, athletic abilities and responsible personality make him a top runner on this list. Even Hermione and Ginny agree he’s proper fit.

7. Remus Lupin

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact:  He was only 5 years old when he was bitten by a werewolf.

Description: What a beast! Literally. This lycanthrope will get your heart thumping for a number of reasons. His caring personality and ultimate dad-vibes know how to capture hearts.

8. Sirius Black

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Sirius is distantly related to the Weasleys and the Malfoys.

Description: Much like Remus, Sirius is a silver fox, or dog, rather. A classic tale of rejecting your evil family’s ways, Sirius shows he’s willing to go above and beyond for the ones he truly loves. Swoon. Additionally, his long dark locks and strong bone structure makes him easy on the eyes.

9. Harry Potter

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Harry can see thestrals because of his exposure to Cedric’s death.

Description: The boy who lived? More like the boy I love. With his boyish good looks and those beautiful emerald green eyes (yes, in the books Harry has green eyes), Harry’s a knockout. Add a small scar and he has the “bad boy” thing down pact.

10. Viktor Krum

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

House/School: Durmstrang

Fun Fact: Viktor was acclaimed as the best seeker in the world.

Description: Tall, dark, and foreign? Um, yes please! What Viktor lacks in words he more than makes up in his passion and bravery. If he managed to sweep Hermione off her feet for the night, what’s to say he can’t do the same with us?

11. Dean Thomas

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Before the UK publication of the first book, Dean was actually named “Gary”.

Description: Funny, supportive and good looking? Dean Thomas has it all! He’s Seamus Finnegan’s best friend and a valuable member of the DA. Fiercely loyal and brave, Dean makes a good pick from the bunch.

12. Bill Weasley

Year He Peaked: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

House: Gryffindor

Fun Fact: Bill was Head Boy for Gryffindor back in his Hogwarts days. Plus, he married Fleur Delacour!

Description: Scars build character and for the case of Bill Weasley, attractiveness. He’s a highly skilled curse breaker for Gringotts Wizarding Bank, meaning he has a certain edge to him. He’s the perfect package; tall, dangerous, handsome, yet you can bring him home to your parents because Molly didn’t raise a punk.

Honorary Mentions:

• Cormac McLaggen
  • Dobby
  • Charlie Weasley
  • James Potter
  • Newt Scamander*

*I would have included Newt in the original list, however, in the Harry Potter books he is mentioned as an old man and not the attractive wizard Eddie Redmayne portrays.

Tori is a Junior and Film and Media Arts major with a Graphics Design minor at Southern Methodist University. She enjoys writing about films and current trends in the cinematic industry as well as in the general media. She is a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She has two dogs (Hunter and Hugo) and lives in Connecticut
We are the SMU Team.