Sorority Recruitment Guide: How to Navigate the Outfit Requirements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Panhellenic’s formal recruitment is coming up soon. Choosing what to wear each day often causes a lot of stress for many girls, especially with the relatively new sisterhood day. I hope to make that easier by creating a guide with some suggestions. Panhellenic also creates a formal guide with a lot of important things to know and examples of what to wear, which can be found here.

Day One: Open House Day

Wear your favorite SMU shirt, or the provided Panhellenic one, as well as jeans and comfortable shoes. This is your way to express your school spirit, so find a fun shirt online or at a store like McCartney’s and dress it up according to your style, whether that’s riding boots or cute sneakers. You’re on your feet the most this day, so make sure they’re comfortable and broken in!

Another tip: Since everyone is wearing pretty much the same thing, choose jewelry that will make you feel beautiful and stand out.

Day Two: Philanthropy Day

Wear the given philanthropy day shirt, jeans, and comfortable shoes. You can dress this up if you want, with a cute cardigan or jacket, or just wear it plain and simple. 

Another tip: Should you choose to wear ankle booties or a shoe with a heel, get Dr. Scholls inserts. Luckily, a lot of houses have you sit on this day, so no need to limit your shoes that much.

Day Three: Sisterhood Day

Wear jeans and a nice shirt with cute shoes. This is your most guideline-free day, so wear what you think is cute. 

Another tip: You can totally wear skirt, casual dresses, or jeans. Show off your personal style this day.

Day Four: Preference and Bid Day

Preference Day: Wear a nice dress, something you would wear to a nice wedding. Try not to have too much sparkle (like sequins or jewels). You’ll be standing a lot so try something like a block heel or a wedge for added comfort.

Another tip: Most of the sororities have their actives wear black or white dresses for ritual purposes, so try to choose a dress that will make you stand out.

Bid Day: Wear a white shirt, either your own or the one Panhellenic provides, jeans, and comfortable shoes. Remember that you’ll be running from Hughes-Trigg to your new home, so tennis shoes are a perfect choice!

Other Reminders:

• Remember to dress like yourself and be comfortable! It will be obvious if you’re wearing something that isn’t really you.
  • It will most likely be cold, so bring along a big jacket for when you walk from house to house, you’ll take it off right before you go inside.
  • You can also bring along a pair of shoes to walk to and from the houses when you have to wear your heels.
  • If you’re wearing lipstick or other makeup, throw some (and maybe some bobby pins!) in your bag for touchups.
  • Bring along mints to keep your breath fresh in between parties.
  • You’re not allowed to have our phone so keep some cash or a card in your bag to run to lunch in your break.
  • Enjoy one of the most fun weeks of your lives and good luck!

All images via SMU Panhellenic

Courtney is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Marketing with a concentration in entrepreneurship and a Spanish and advertising minor. Lover of puppies, writing, How I Met Your Mother, and anything crafty. When she's not attending one of a hundred meetings, you can find her wrapped up in bed pretending to work while really editing Spotify playlists or watching Hart of Dixie.
We are the SMU Team.