SMU Leading Lady: Nicole Song, President of Sigma Phi Omega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Courtesy of Nicole Song

SMU is proud to be home to world changers, and it all starts with the moment a student decides to become a leader. We are proud here at Her Campus to present SMU’s Leading Ladies, taking charge and making a difference in the community.

This week, we had the pleasure of getting to know senior Nicole Song, president of Multicultural Greek Council sorority Sigma Phi Omega. Well, more like president, secretary, service chair, and new member director.

“We’re an Asian Interest Sorority and one of five MGC organizations. Since there are only so many members in our chapter, most of us a have a few positions each,” Song said.

In addition to her many leadership roles within Sigma Phi Omega, the world languages major has participated and led a number of organizations on campus. In her four years at SMU, Song has served as secretary of WIN, vice president of YWCA, the executive board of MGC, and chair and participant in the Vagina Monologues, an event where women speakers give monologues on the feminine experience.

“Coming to SMU, I really found my niche in the Women’s Center,” Song said.

It wasn’t until a little later in her college career that Song got involved with Greek life. Now, Song attributes a great deal of inspiration and motivation to Sigma Phi Omega.

“My sisters are a huge support system. Our chapter isn’t very big, so it’s really important for all of us to pull our weight, and we all support each other,” Song said. “I also want to achieve personal growth. When I was in my freshman and sophomore years, I wasn’t really motivated. Being in a small chapter where it’s necessary for us all to have multiple positions has boost my growth as a person and I like seeing that in myself. I want to be successful, and being a part of Sigma Phi Omega has helped me so much.”

When asked about her best advice for the women of SMU looking to get involved and be leaders themselves, Song didn’t skip a beat.

“Be open-minded,” she said immediately. “I came to SMU and I never imagined joining a sorority. So try everything, and realize that it’s going to take work; don’t just flake on things because they’re hard.  Anything worth having is going to be work.”

Song says her motto is “You get what you put into it,” and it’s easy to see in the work she puts in for the sorority she loves.

“The thing is that I care a lot,” Song said. “You can be super organized, sure, but if you don’t care about something, you’re not going to put in the work. This sorority has given me my best college experience, I owe so much to them.”

Callie is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, double-majoring in French and Fashion Media and minoring in Journalism.
We are the SMU Team.