Seven Most Underrated Netflix Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

There are two types of people in this world: people who re-watch the same movies and TV shows over and over again, and the people who don’t. Well, I am one of those people who watch the same shows and movies over and over again. If I like them, why would I stop watching them? But, there are some downsides… you become bored and want to explore other shows and movies (crazy, right?). Well, for all you re-watchers out there, I am here to tell you about seven underrated shows on Netflix that you might be interested in if you get bored of your usual!

1. “Big Mouth”: It is a cartoon show created by Nick Kroll (for all you Parks and Rec followers out there, Nick Kroll plays the Douche, so you know this show is funny). This show is pretty crass and has adult humor, but it’s humor nonetheless. I can’t help but die laughing when I watch this show. 

Photo via Collider

2. “The Blacklist”: for all my crime show watchers, it might get boring watching “Criminal Minds” and “Law and Order” all the time, so this is the show for you! It is suspenseful, and completely unlike any other crime show I’ve ever watched. It’s one of those shows that you can’t help staying up until 4 a.m. watching! You can’t possibly get bored with this one.

Photo via JustWatch.com

3. “The Good Place”: Starring Kristen Bell, The Good Place is a comedy that packs in a little morality (because it is set in heaven). If you’re into some light hearted fun and an relaxed TV show experience, this is the show for you!

Photo via Vulture

4. “Bojack Horseman”: This is a comedy cartoon about a horse celebrity and never fails to give a good chuckle. This show has a lot of dry humor, but some days, dry humor is just what the doctor ordered! If you’re into shows like “Archer” or “Futurama,” this show is for you!

Photo via IndieWire.com

5. “Reign”: Talk about suspenseful! “Reign” is a show about Mary, Queen of Scots and is semi-historically accurate. The cast members are so talented and there is a plot twist in almost every single episode. For those of you who want to be at the edge of your seats, “Reign” is for you! There is never a dull moment. 

Photo via Whats-On-Netflix.com

6. “The 100”: For all you science-fiction lovers out there, this is a show about the Earth being uninhabitable and 100 teenagers being sent from outer space to the ground to see if it is livable yet. This show has all the aspects a science-fiction lover would want! There is suspense, action, some humor, romance and a whole lot of crazy!   

Photo via Wikipedia

7. “Brickleberry”: Set in a national park, the character spread in this show is amazing. Every single character is absolutely hysterical. This show, like “Big Mouth,” is incredibly crass, but if you’re into that kind of stuff, this is most definitely for you. “Brickleberry” never fails to leave me in stitches. 

Photo via ComedyCentral

This fall, if you’re looking for some shows to spice up your Netflix queue, look no further! All of these shows would keep you busy for a while, and hey, you might even find a new favorite show to re-watch over and over and over again! 

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
I am a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Business Marketing and double minoring in Communications and Journalism. I am a Texan, born and raised, and a lover of the 3 Ps: puppies, pizza, and Parks and Rec. 
We are the SMU Team.