The Scaredy-Cat’s Guide to Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

A time of ghouls and goblins galore, Halloween can entice people with the idea of fright. However, if you are like me and are afraid of even your own shadow, being frightened does not seem too appealing. For this reason, I stray away from classic Halloween festivities such as haunted houses and horror movies. Instead, I try to engage in more “family-friendly” activities, leaving me spirited without feeling scared. Here are a couple of ways to enjoy the holiday in a non-fearful way!

1: Create Fall Treats

Photo by Growing Up Herbal

I think it is universally agreed that Fall is the best season for snacks. From apple cider donuts to pumpkin pie, there is no shortage of sweet treats (many of which you can make on your own!). Create some fun, fall-themed foods to brighten up the holiday, so you can feel festive and full all at the same time!

2: Host a Halloween Party

Photo by Invitations Ideas

And I’m not necessarily talking about your average “frat party.” Throw a Halloween-themed party filled with good music, friends and of course, costumes. You could even organize a costume contest to add to the fun, and you can present your new fall snacks!

3: Those Big, Round, Orange Things

Photo by Wonderopolis

That’s right, I’m referring to pumpkins. What better way to spend the holiday then going to a pumpkin patch! Dallas, in particular, is home to some of the most beautiful pumpkin patches; the pumpkin exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum is especially beautiful. Make sure to bring home your own pumpkin to carve and decorate!

4: Halloween Specials

Photo by Amazon.com

While the majority of shows during the month of October are on the scarier side, there are still some shows that play to the lighter side of Halloween. Personally, I like to get nostalgic during this time and watch some of my favorite Halloween specials as a kid (Charlie Brown, anyone?). Cuddling up on the couch with these feel-good films is the perfect way to spend your Halloween night!

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Paige is a junior at Southern Methodist University located in Dallas, TX. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in both Ethics and Advertising, Paige aspires to be an editor one day for a lifestyle magazine. Paige loves dogs and hummus, and she will ALWAYS be ready to go out for a hamburger at 1 a.m.
We are the SMU Team.