The Satanic Temple: 5 Things You Didn’t Know and Probably Should

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

This article reflects an interview with a representative of the Satanic Temple in Dallas. We here at Her Campus are dedicated to respecting all religions, faiths and creeds. This article is meant in no way to promote or reject any religion.

You probably think you know all about Satanism. You might think it’s a cult for weird kids who like heavy metal, practice witch craft, drink blood and make sacrifices. But what if I told you that you were wrong about all of those things, except for maybe the heavy metal part? Read on below to open your mind and your heart to a religion that is probably not as scary as you thought it was.

1. Church of Satan vs. The Satanic Temple 

Lucien Greaves, Co-founder and Spokesperson of The Satanic Temple, Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

2. They don’t actually worship Satan

• Yeah that’s right. You heard it here first folks, (not really here first, check out The Satanic Temple website). There is no devil worshipping involved! In fact, members of The Satanic Temple, or TST for short, believe in science. This means that some of them are atheist and some “exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things”. They encourage critical thinking and believe in the facts. There is widespread use of the symbol of the Baphomet and Satan but these are not used as religious idols; they are simply used as icons to exemplify their activism. They use Satanic symbols to show their “opposition to arbitrary authority” and in defense of “personal sovereignty” because Satan was and is seen as the Eternal Rebel.

Drawing of Baphomet via DeviantArt

3. They believe that your body is yours and yours alone.

Photo from Breitbart

4. They defend and support LGBTQIA rights.

• TST was founded as an activist organization so, naturally, they take a stance on political and human rights issues. This includes LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual) rights amongst others. They are active supporters and defenders of LGBTQIA rights, as well as calling for an end to human sex trafficking and supporting abuse victims. In fact, they have vehemently opposed the ideals of the Westboro Baptist Church and “laws that unscientifically restrict women’s reproductive autonomy”. They also want equal representation for all religions. The belief is that if America is a truly free society, Christianity won’t be the predominantly accepted religion and all religions will be just as accepted and celebrated as the Christian religion is.

Photo via Sons of Liberty

5. There are more chapters than you think.

• Yup. There are about 20 chapters worldwide and there is one right here in Dallas. They also have one in London, in case you were wondering. But if you wanted to join, membership is free! Don’t want to join but want a cool tee? Head to their website to check out some merch.

Ashni Pabley is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Public Relations and English. She loves all books, alternative music, and Quentin Tarantino films and has a passion for black coffee and inspiring stories. Stay tuned! 
We are the SMU Team.