yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Rewatching Childhood Movies: “Halloweentown”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

October is upon us once again! Among the essentials of PSLs, the painstaking hours of finding a costume and overloading on spooky is “Halloweentown.” Many of us watched “Halloweentown” as a kid and still watch them today as a yearly tradition. I, however, watched it a few times as a kid but haven’t really watched it again until now. So without further ado, here are some thoughts on “Halloweentown” from a college student. 

Image via Teleboy

1. In the beginning of the movie, Marnie talks to her mother and says “I am a grownup, I can make my own choices,” to which her friends offhandedly comment, “is there an age for that?” and I can’t relate more. I hate making my own choices and I’m a semi-adult myself. 

2. If this movie had taken place a few years later when Marnie was is college, she would be fantasizing about monsters that were a little more scandalously dressed instead of a ghost in a bed sheet. 

3. Basically up until the middle to end of the movie, Marnie is a raging nightmare to her mom, but I never realized it because I was always mad at the mom when I was younger because she was totally holding Marnie back from her true potential. 

4. Dylan is absolutely hysterical. As a kid, I thought he was so mean and I didn’t like him at all, but obviously my sense of humor has evolved, because he has quickly become my favorite character in the movie. 

5. When I first watched this movie, I had no idea what “bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble” meant. I thought it was just come catchy phrase that was made up for the movie, but now I have a love-mostly-hate relationship with Shakespeare. 

6. So are we not going to acknowledge that when the three kids initially go to Halloweentown, the grandma was completely willing to put her one elementary schooled and two tween grandchildren in impending danger?

7. Why does no one in Halloweentown put Luke in his place when he needs it? He’s like 13 and the grandma is over 200 years old. I feel like he should’ve been disciplined well for his absolutely pr!ck-like behavior a long time ago.

8. Since I’m older now than I was when I watched this movie last, I have exponentially more sympathy for the mom than I previously did. All three of her kids are rebellious and her mother is fueling the rebellion when all the mom wants to do it protect her kids. Just give the mom a break, jeez, Marnie. 

9. Watching two 13-year-olds flirt makes me physically cringe, because I totally remember trying to flirt as a tween. It was a tragically awkward time and having to be reminded how awkward all my friends and I were is a painful thought.

I apologize for ripping apart such a cultural staple for us millennials, but I feel like there are just some things that a lot of us overlooked when we first watched this movie. If you didn’t overlook them, I’m here to tell you that I’ve noticed them as well. However, “Halloweentown” will always be a Disney masterpiece and I look forward to making it a tradition of my own next year! Happy Halloween from Her Campus!

I am a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Business Marketing and double minoring in Communications and Journalism. I am a Texan, born and raised, and a lover of the 3 Ps: puppies, pizza, and Parks and Rec. 
We are the SMU Team.