Reflections on the First Boulevard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Some things in college can’t be explained unless you experience them for yourself. At SMU, chief among them is the Boulevard. There were plenty of things that I got to learn about the Boulevard on the spot that no one could’ve helped prepare me for. These are the lessons I learned at my first Boulevard that I’ll be keeping in mind for all the games still to come.

Dress comfortably!The Boulevard is roughly three hours standing on your feet, posing for pictures and dancing around, all in the Texas heat. And if you go to the game afterwards? All of that continues for several more hours. Whatever you decide to wear needs to be able to endure everything. So, if you’re going to be stumbling and complaining all night, I’d recommend finding something else to wear.

Talk to people!That sorority girl in the pretty dress? The girl from your high school? The cute boy in your math class? Start a conversation with all of them! Meeting up with all the friends I’ve made so far in college was one of the best parts of Boulevarding for me. So don’t be shy! Who knows? A conversation at the Boulevard could be the start of a great friendship or relationship.

Be prepared to get messy!During the last Boulevard, I got beer knocked onto my white dress at the game, paint rubbed onto my arms from my friends in Mustang11, and sweat plastered onto my body, consistently and profusely throughout the entire evening (thanks Texas!) Instead of reeling from things that are potentially gross, embrace them! Sometimes you have to get down and dirty to have some fun!

Explore the Boulevard!Did you get a free Steel City Pop? A free shirt? A chance to pet some of the cutest dogs in the world? If not, then you missed out! Instead of spending all of your time in the sorority and fraternity tents, take a few minutes to see what else is out there- chances are, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Be nice to everyone (even opposing fans!)The worst part of the Boulevard for me? A girl shouting at me to “move it!” as she shoved me into a bystander so that she could walk by. The best part of the Boulevard for me? The thanks I received from some fans of the visiting team after I gave them directions around campus to help them reunite with the rest of their family. Classmates and competitors alike all deserve your nicest smile and kindest remarks- that’s Southern hospitality!

Take pictures!‘Nuff said. With everyone dressed up and having fun, this is the perfect time to make an awesome Snapchat Story. Plus, with awesome features such as the Wesley couch and the Greek letter signs, you can guarantee a unique and cute Instagram picture with your friends.

Keep an open mind!And I mean about everything! Maybe you’re not a fan of the new drinking policies or the clear bag rule. Maybe you’re like me and you’ve never been a fan of football before. When I decided to go with my friends to the game, I assumed I’d have an awful time, but it turned out to be one of the best parts of the night. Don’t put down something until you’ve tried it- you might love it!

Courtesy of Twitter

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.