An Open Letter to the Girl Who Didn’t Finish Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Dear friend,

You weren’t there with me on what was supposed to be one of those big life moments, one of the happiest nights of my life. You weren’t there on Bid Night. I know it might not have seemed like it, from the Instagram of my smiling face, in my new colors, throwing a new hand sign – but a piece of me was missing that night. My thoughts fell back on what you were doing, how you were feeling, how much fun you’d be having if you were by my side. 

I encourage you to remain optimistic. I understand grieving is necessary. You can get sad or mad. You are entitled to your emotions after such a big change, but always know that if going through recruitment is something you still have your heart set on or something you wish to do, there is always next year. Sophomores and juniors can go through the process (and often do), and are on the same playing field as any of the new faces. 

Whether you didn’t go through recruitment at all, or gave it a shot and it didn’t work out the way you had planned, remember this- you are loved.  Not only do I love you, but SMU loves you. You belong here on campus. You’re involved with so many great organizations. And if you haven’t gotten involved with them yet, you will soon, especially now that you’re accustomed to college life. You have a place. I don’t want you to feel like you don’t have a place and a home here in Dallas. Home does not have to be a mansion with Greek letters hanging above the door. Home is a feeling of love, friendship and safety. We had that before recruitment, and I hope to keep that now.

With love,

A junior who has seen this too many times

Alexis is a junior at Southern Methodist University and working towards a degree in secondary education and English with a specialization in creative writing.  Alexis is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and the president of Golden Key International Honor Society.  In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, and watching videos of puppies.  Food is her best friend and Pinterest quote boards are her guilty pleasure.  
We are the SMU Team.