This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As I’m sure you all are, I have been going insane during this quarantine. Here in Texas, we’re all on lockdown, and can only leave the house for essential reasons, such as grocery shopping, daily exercise, etc. I’m pretty much just spending most of my time studying, exercising, and getting super close with my family. I’m also getting kind of into baking and my house is currently pretty full of my attempts at baked goods. So, when my mom asked me to do the grocery shopping, I uncharacteristically hopped on that idea – anything to get out of the house and have a change of scenery. My current interactions with the outside world have pretty much just been jogging outside and FaceTiming my friends an insane amount. 

I went prepared, with lysol, hand sanitizer, wipes – the works. Different people have been giving me varying accounts of what the stores are like; before the quarantine officially went into effect, I heard that stores like HEB and Kroger were absolutely packed with people buying everything from toilet paper to snacks. I’ve heard from some people that it’s really hard now to get anything at the stores. I expected the grocery store to be pretty empty, but it was actually stocked well with some things – they just lacked toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and some food items. I was able to find most of the necessities for my latest baking endeavors. However, it was very empty of people, thankfully! It was actually kind of weird, too – walking through an HEB that is usually packed full of people, but instead the aisles are mostly empty. This being one of my very few experiences leaving the house in the past few weeks, it was kind of a shocking experience for me. It made me glad that everyone was taking quarantine seriously and trying to limit shopping as much as they could! Basically, my overall shopping experience was not what I expected – I was able to get what I needed, and quickly go home! 

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.