This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If there’s one thing that college has taught me, it’s the difficulty of doing a full face of makeup every day. In high school, any time I would go out with friends I would do either foundation or a hefty amount of concealer, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow- I liked to go all-out and experiment. However, after only one semester in college, I’ve realized how much less time and motivation I have to spend that long on my makeup. I’m still passionate about it and enjoy the process of getting ready – but I just don’t have time for the extensive process anymore. Now, instead of doing a full face, I’ve started incorporating just four key products into my every-day routine that help me not only get ready faster, but also do my makeup more frequently. 

Mascara

If I do nothing else, I apply mascara. Without it, I feel like my makeup is incomplete. I’ll sometimes just put it on without anything else – especially before class. Just a few swipes in the morning make me (feel like I) look more awake. There are countless mascaras that get the job done; you just need to find the one that works best for you. I’ve rounded up some higher-end, waterproof, and drugstore ones that have worked really well for me in the past!

tarte Maneater Mascara, $12.00

Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara, $9.99

L’Oréal Lash Paradise Mascara, $10.95

Concealer

Concealer comes really in handy when I need to cover my under-eye circles before my 8 a.m. One of my favorite combos for classes is concealer under the eyes plus a little bit of mascara. In my opinion, you don’t even need a brush or sponge to blend it out- your fingers will get the job done. I’ve been through several concealers in my lifetime, but here are a few of my favorites:

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer, $9.99

Bare Minerals Bareskin Complete Coverage Serum Concealer, $24.00

Blush

Blush is great for adding a pop of color to your cheeks, and I tend to be pretty liberal with it. I’ll add it to my cheeks, nose, and sometimes the edge of my forehead. If it’s the middle of winter but you want to look like you’ve spent some time in the sun, blush is perfect. For application, I recommend any powder or fan brush.  

NARS Blush, $30.00

Benefit Cosmetics GALifornia Sunny Golden-Pink Powder Blush, $30.00

Lip Balm/Gloss

This is something I truly cannot leave my room without – whether it’s a thick, high-shine gloss or just lip balm, I need something. With or without makeup, I am literally applying this all day. I find it best to stick to products that provide you with the most moisture possible – it’s easy to buy brands that actually end up drying out your skin. There are so many good lip products out there, and while I could probably list 50 of them for you, I’m just going to stick to my tried-and-true favorites: 

Glossier Balm Dotcom, $12.00

Kiehl’s Lip Balm, $10.00

Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer, $19.00

Typically, I apply all four of these in the morning and head off to class, and in under five minutes! Any combination of these products can help incorporate makeup you want to do – but simply don’t have time for – into your daily routine. 

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.