Mustang Challenge: Go Build a House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Get your helmets on and your butts into construction mode. Forget your regular volunteer opportunities, why dont you get out there and do something completely bad ass like build a house? Here are a couple of reasons I strongly believe you should go out there and start learning how to manage all that wood work. Who knows, this might even be the first time you adequately learn how to use a hammer.

Besides the fact that a couple hours of pounding nails into the surface of a house will probably make you a pro at using tools, you will change someone’s life. As of 2014 there were 3,314 homeless people in Dallas alone, who will have to face the cold winters without a roof over their heads. Some of those are even children. I mean just think about it, you’re probably reading this on your iMac while you could be out there putting in that werk. Do it for the kids! 

However if you still need some convicing, there are some other reasons you should consider volunteering. Look at your resume, isn’t it lacking something? We both know it is. According to a LinkedIn study, one in five employers hired someone primarily because of their volunteer service. If you want to know more about how to add volunteering experience on your resume, click here.

If that didn’t convince you, then bragging rights are always a great way to get you motivated. If you are interested in impressing your peers and building up your resume, but more importantly helping out the community, then you can contact the Dallas Habitat for Humanity, or join the SMU organization on campus.

We are the SMU Team.