Must-Try Foods at the State Fair of Texas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Once a year, the State Fair of Texas comes to town and blesses Dallasites with new, crazy (and possibly heart-stopping) food creations. After making my rounds, trying deep-fried, bread crumb crusted and oil covered creations, I’ve compiled a list of interesting novelty snacks that are worth the calories. The following is my top four favorites, in order from lowest to highest ranking. 

Courtesy of Maddy Belt

1. Brisket and cheese nachos

Chips and queso is always a good thing. To amplify the classic Mexican starter dish, and common snack, booths at the State Fair of Texas added homemade brisket, adding another dimension and flavor to the crunchy, cheesy dish. The tender meat not only adds protein, making the dish more hearty and filling. The only critique would be the skimpy servings of meat that consequently gets overpowered by the cheese, making the ingredients at an uneven ratio. 

Courtesy of Maddy Belt

2. Pumpkin spice latte donut chips

This fall-inspired dish plays off the classic drink from Starbucks- the PSL (pumpkin spice latte) and turns it into an edible dessert. Fried dough soaked in a PSL and sugar mixture, flattened into a crispy wafer served alongside vanilla bean ice cream and bacon bits completely transforms your thoughts about PSL and dessert. The dish plays with your palette, mixing the sweet donut crisps with salty, savory bacon to satisfy your hunger. One downside: Texas heat tends to melt ice cream fast, so by the time you finish one donut chip, your ice cream may be soup.

Courtesy of Maddy Belt

3. Fried oreos

Another sweet dish is fried oreos. Topped with powdered sugar, America’s favorite cookies are dunked in flour-based batter before being thrown in the deep fryer. The result? A delicious, gooey inside of chocolate and icing filling after biting into a fluffy, bread-like outside. A serving consists of three fried oreos, but trust me, after eating one, you and your friends will be dying for more. The only negative is that the dessert can dry out your mouth- so be sure to have a water bottle on hand.

Courtesy of Maddy Belt

4. Crispy avocado fries

This dish may be presented last, but it is definitely not least. The crispy avocado fries are such a state fair favorite that this year the booth even added a loaded version, adding more toppings and sauces to the mix. The classic avocado fries dish consists of crusted avocado slices deep fried to a golden brown. The fries are then taken hot out of the pan and served alongside a cilantro dipping sauce. The avocado fries have a surprising kick from the seasoning that is perfectly balanced with the sauce. The only complain is the line to get these taste treats, but once you get them, it’s well worth the wait. 

Grab these while you can- the State Fair of Texas closes on Oct. 18, so be sure to head over soon y’all! 

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.