The Most Important Guys You’ll Meet at SMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Guys: some people like to say you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. Here is a list of the male MVPs that, with any luck, you’ll meet while at SMU!

Derrick at Umph

If you have ever lived on campus, you’ve probably met this guy. Always cheerful, Derrick brightens your day and keeps an eye how much coffee you drink. He is the social butterfly of the work place you aspire to be. More than just friendliness, Derrick takes the 30 seconds he has with students swipping them into the dining hall to cheer them on. Some of his lines included:”Stay productive!” “3 days till the weekend!” and “You got this!”

Dan at Café 100

Another SMU staple is Dan, the barista at Cafe 100. More than like to be heard singing while he assembles a drink, Dan is never without a smile. Espcially if you’re a regular or caffiene addicted, he gets to know you for more than just your order. He proabably knew who was in what May Term class this year better than any faulcty memeber with a roster. And if his sunny personna isn’t enough, he is also the keeper of the close-to-class pumkin spice lattes.

Courtsey of SMU Dining Services

Your At-School Older Brother

Even if you are an only child or one of a dozen girls, you’ll know who this guy is when you find him. Not only can you not wear make-up around him or bug him when you’re bored, this is the first guy you go to when you need advice or help. He does not hesitate to make fun of you for your more questionable choices at parties and he actively feels uncomfortable setting you up with people. This platonic gemstone is a sense of home, even if you are miles away from your family.

Peruna

Yes, our mascot is male. Fiesty, fun, and maybe a tad impatietnt with selfies, he is named after Peruna Tonic, a prohibition era “medicine” that is said to have a kick to it. What’s not to love?

The Cute Boy

Not just a cute guy. If you go to the right school (cough cough SMU), those are a dime a dozen. No, I’m talking about that guy you notice frequently around campus or on the boulevard. Or maybe he’s just a reoccurring character in classes. He is the single reason you show up some place, hair done and wedges on, when you’d rather be curled up in sweats watching “New Girl.”

Courtsey of Crushable.com

You Best Friend’s Boyfriend

One of the most critical relationships you will experience in college is that of you versus him. As the saying goes, boys come and go but best friends are forever so if you hurt her, I will cut you. Please just accept my constant presence and learn to love me because most of the time, if a girl’s best friend thinks you’re pretty cool, the best friend is happy to be your number one fan as well. Every couple needs a third-wheel, right? Right!

R. Gerald Turner

Between posing for boulevard pictures and greeting students at meals, SMU’s notorious RGT is almost as iconic as Dallas Hall. During his 20 year reign as the university’s president, he has not only raised millions of dollars for the endowment but has also overseen the construction of several important buildings, including the overhaul of the South East Area, the Ford Football Stadium, and George W. Bush Presidential Library. Since he makes himself pretty visable around campus, the first time you meet Turner will not be when you’re walking across the stage to get you diploma.

Guy Best Friends

Guy best friends are a life line, a support system, an absolute gift. You can’t try and find guy best friends. They materialize over the semesters. But once you find them, they don’t go far. These are the guys who’s antics you can’t recall without laughing. My guy friends came to my birthday brunch with a balloon duck, and have listen, understandingly, to more than their fair share of rants on topics they probably do not care about, dutifully accepting that they are stuck with me. (Thanks, y’all) Imagining SMU without them is like imagining finals without coffee: disturbing at best. Guy best friends help build you up and, in turn, you pick out their throw pillows and give them an excuse to drink pink wine.

Courtsey of Hannah Claire Brimelow

Author’s Note: I pretty much hyperventilated when I walked up to it. They know me well.

Feature Image: Courtsey of Pinterest

Hannah Claire Brimelow is a Junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in English and Communication Studies and minoring in French. After her December 2016 graduation, Brimelow intends to continue on to law school and, eventually, work on international adoption policy and children's rights issues. When not writing for Her Campus SMU, she enjoys traipsing around around the world and pretending she's a Texas native.
We are the SMU Team.