This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

All my life I’ve been a morning person. You would never see me hitting the snooze button and I would be most productive in the morning hours. However, with classes picking up and course load increasing, I’ve been finding it harder and harder to wake up as my alarm goes off for my 8 a.m.’s. Here is a list of hacks and tricks that I live by on how to wake up on the right side of the bed! 

1. Plan

It all starts the night before! Plan out your day, figure out what you need to get done, pack your bag and pick out your outfit. I swear by my Day Designer planner! By organizing and planning your day the night before, you won’t go to bed tossing and turning thinking about what tomorrow has in store. 

2. Get enough sleep

Speaking of the night before, it is so important to get enough sleep! College students typically need around eight hours of sleep. Set the mood by putting on some relaxing music, making a cup of tea and turning off your phone at least 30 minutes before you plan to go to bed. During this time, I love to reflect on my day, read a book for fun or work on my bullet journal. By being well-rested, it will be much easier to wake up! 

3. Stop hitting snooze

In the morning, ignore the snooze button! It may be tempting to shut your eyes for an extra five minutes, but you’re actually tricking your body by allowing yourself to go back to sleep. This will leave you feeling even more groggy.

4. Keep your phone away from your bed, as hard as that may be

Keep your phone out of your bed and even put it across the room so you have to physically get out of bed to turn it off. Set your alarm to a song you hate or a really annoying sound so you get out of bed.

5. Feel refreshed

Once you’re out of bed, open up the blinds and make your bed right away. By letting in some sunlight, you will automatically have more motivation to start your day. With your bed made, you won’t be tempted to climb back in and you can feel as if you accomplished something. 

6. Hydrate

Another way to feel refreshed is to drink some water. It will get your metabolism going and flush out toxins. I always fill up my water bottle the night before and keep it right next to my bed. With having it right there, it’s just so convenient. 

7. Make a morning playlist

Right when I wake up, I love to put on some relaxing morning acoustic songs and as my morning progresses, I transition to more upbeat and hype music. It will help you transition into your day and sets the vibe you want to have. I love listening to pre-made morning playlists on Spotify. 

8. Shower in the morning

Showering in the morning always helps me wake up. You come out feeling refreshed, and it will really help improve your mood. It’s another task you’ve accomplished and makes you feel productive. 

9. Take your time

Allow yourself enough time to get ready. It’s no fun rushing out the door scrambling to do your hair and makeup. If you followed tip #1, you will already have your bag packed and outfit planned out, so here you can save some extra minutes in the morning. Start your day stress-free and take your time going out the door. 

10. Eat a healthy breakfast

I know it may be hard, especially in college, but try and eat a good breakfast. As cliché as this sounds, it really is the most important meal of the day and will give you enough energy to make it through your morning classes. Try to incorporate some protein and whole grains in your breakfast- this will really give your body some fuel! 

If you aren’t a morning person right, these ten tricks may seem a little intimidating at first. Try out a few things at a time and see what works best for you! Becoming a morning person doesn’t happen overnight. But sooner or later, I promise you will start to enjoy your mornings and will be living a healthier and happier life!

Kalena Dorgan is a freshman at Southern Methodist University and is planning on double majoring in Advertising and Communications, as well as minoring in Spanish. Being from Wisconsin, she can't wait to explore Dallas. She is passionate about volunteering in her community and is obsessed with chai tea, yoga, brunch and her planner.
We are the SMU Team.