katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Money Saving Apps Every College Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If you don’t know about these money-saving apps, you could be losing out every time you go shopping!  Although they each have their own perks and downfalls, it’s totally worth it to download these three apps onto your phone. 

1. Cartwheel

The Target app is my least favorite out of all three of the money-saving apps, but it’s still helpful to find coupons and other deals before hitting up our favorite one-stop shop.  Thumb through hundreds of coupons and save them to your list all from the comfort of your bed.  If you want to see if there is a coupon for Dr. Pepper while at Target, simply scan the product’s barcode and the app will search for the coupon. Present the Cartwheel coupons at checkout and rack up on savings!  

2. Savings Catcher

The Walmart Savings Catcher app is so easy to use, and perfect for when you’re buying groceries. Simply scan the barcode at the end of your receipt after every trip, and the app will search for any competitor who offeres lower prices on the items you purchased. I’ve only had the app for two months and I already have $11 saved. The money you earn back can be used like a gift card at check out.  

3. Shopkick

This is the ultimate money-saving app and by far my favorite. It takes a little more time to earn back money than the Savings Catcher app, but there are many more opportunities to use this app. You just have to be within proximity of one of the many stores Shopkick partners with in order to earn points.  You can also earn points by scanning various items at stores and entering your receipts into the app. Rack up points to trade in for gift cards to one of their long list of partners such as Target, Kroger, American Eagle, Fabletics, Best Buy and many, many more. A trip to NorthPark and then Kroger can get you enough points for a $5 gift card, easily. 

Alexis is a junior at Southern Methodist University and working towards a degree in secondary education and English with a specialization in creative writing.  Alexis is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and the president of Golden Key International Honor Society.  In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, and watching videos of puppies.  Food is her best friend and Pinterest quote boards are her guilty pleasure.  
We are the SMU Team.