Meet SMU First Year Soccer Player Garrett McLaughlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Meet first year soccer player Garrett McLaughlin. Garrett is from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and is majoring in sports management, but with plans as big as his, might end up with an agent of his own. His goal after college is to continue playing soccer at the professional level for as long as possible. HCSMU recently got to catch up with Garrett to learn more about him off the field.

Photo Courtesey of Garrett McLaughlin

HCSMU: Is there a reason you chose to attend SMU aside from playing soccer?

Garrett McLaughlin: I chose SMU primarily for soccer but also just the city of Dallas is amazing and wanted to experience a new place.

HCSMU: When you’re not on the field, where can you be found? What are your hobbies?

GM: When I’m not on the soccer field, you can usually find me in the Arnold cafeteria or in my dorm, or at Torchy’s tacos because that is my second home. My hobbies include Netflix, I love to fish but haven’t got the opportunity [in Dallas] yet. I love to go to the lake with my friends, and I’m a big snow skier.

HCSMU: Congratulations, you were selected as the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year, does this add any pressure on you to perform as you begin the new season?

GM: The award will not add any pressure to me as my new season starts. It is nice to get recognized in the conference and it is an honor, but I know I just have to continually get better each practice and each game to reach my goal of playing professionally.

HCSMU: What are the best and worst things about being a student-athlete at SMU? Any words of advice for incoming first years?     

GM: Some of the best things about being a student athlete is we have a wonderful trainer Becky that takes care of us whenever we need; we are very lucky. Also, I’ve met some of my best friends here through soccer and it is amazing to get to know these guys. Waking up at 7 o’clock every morning is tough, so that could be one of the worst things hahaha. My advice for the incoming freshman class is make sure you read your texts books and handle your business in the classroom.

HCSMU: That’s pretty good advice for all students. What’s the best memory you have of this past season and what are you looking forward too next season?

GM: One of the best memories I have from last fall season would be traveling to places I haven’t been before like UCONN and Providence and getting to know me teammates better. Next season our goal is to do well in conference play and make it to the NCAA tournament.

HCSMU: If you had the opportunity to have dinner with anyone: dead, alive or fictional, who would you eat with?

GM:  If I could go to dinner with one person, it would be UCLA basketball coach John Wooden. I have done many research papers and presentations on him, and I like how he coached his players not only from a basketball player standpoint but also as young men and developed them both athletically and in life.

Look for Garrett at Arnold or Torchy’s, or cheer him on at SMU’s soccer games next season!

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.