This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Fall is something that everyone looks forward to for the cozy sweaters, warm drinks, and cute pics – but something I think we can overlook is ways to incorporate that fall spirit into your makeup routine! There are tons of easy things to change up in your makeup looks if you want to try out what’s trending this fall, or just match those typical fall colors. Now that summer is officially over and we won’t be constantly sweating off our makeup, here are some ways to freshen up our look while simultaneously getting in the holiday spirit. 

Add a pop of dark red 

Burgundy is a classic fall color, and the brown/red lip colors come back in style every season. You can never go wrong with a bold and dark lip color! Try it in a matte finish and pair it with some warm-toned eyeshadows. The Glossier Generation G sheer matte lipstick is a personal favorite and comes in several cute darker colors. 

Extra lip gloss

Extra shiny lip gloss is trending again, and it looks great with any look. This is something I love to incorporate when I don’t feel like being super bold. You can wear shiny gloss to class or out to dinner with friends, and you don’t have to worry about matching the color with whatever you’re wearing. I love the NARS Lip Gloss, and it’s not sticky, either!

Natural brows

I’ve always been a fan of not being too heavy with the brow pencil, but it’s really trending right now. This fall, maybe embrace your natural brows and just brush them out and slightly fill them in. It’s more time efficient and gives you that slightly “effortless” look. 

Metallics

A slight touch of shimmer is great for when you’re wearing something a little nicer and are going out with friends. Gold is a classic fall color, and I love to add a little bit on the middle or inner corner of my eyelids to change up my look. The Stila Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow comes in several great metallic colors, and I love it because it’s easy to apply!

Blush, blush, blush

I’ve always been a big fan of keeping the summer rosy glow going into fall and winter. Maybe try going a little further with your blush than you normally do, such as adding some to the bridge of your nose or taking it a little higher up on your cheekbone. You can also try different shades of blush during the fall that have more brown or orange tones. Glossier’s Cloud Paint is great – it’s easy to apply and comes in a few different fall-friendly colors. 

Go light on the highlight 

Summer is the time of embracing that super dewy highlighted look, but we don’t need to drop it and go completely matte during autumn, either. I think adding just a touch of highlight to your cheekbones and inner corner of the eyelids is a great way to incorporate that subtle glow during fall. My personal is the Becca Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector Highlighter. 

Monochrome!

Something that’s popular right now that’s simultaneously cute and easy is the monochromatic eyeshadow trend. It’s easy – just apply some color all over the lid or put a little on the inner corner and match your lip color to it. You can try it in rose, red, orange, or terracotta to fall-ify it.  

Don’t be afraid to play around with makeup more and try new things this fall, even if you’re stuck inside. I know that for me, it’s a fun way to help me feel like myself again, especially during these hard times. Hopefully, these gave you some inspo for how to change up your daily makeup routine and embrace the autumn spirit!   

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.