This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Interview with Panhellenic President, Lauren Fann

As second semester winds down, some first-year female students have more than just finals and holiday baking on their minds. For over 500 SMU females, next month will bring the much anticipated sorority recruitment. While each chapter has its house respective president, Lauren Fann presides over all eight houses as Panhellenic Council President. She’s dedicated her four years at SMU to the betterment of our greek community through attending retreats, serving as rho gamma and now as president. Hailing originally from Arizona, Fann has brought fresh ideas and her keen logical mind- a mind molded from her time in the Lyle School of Engineering.

When did you first get involved in Panhellenic Council?

My first time getting involved with Panhellenic, was as a freshman at the Greek Leadership Retreat (after recruitment). It was a great experience and made me want to continue through senior year.

Why did you decide to run for Panhellenic President?

I decided to run for Panhellenic President because I felt that the positives that Greeks do on a day to day basis needed a better voice, while also building my leadership experience in a peer environment. Also, I thought it would be a great way to be more involved on campus, while still sharing my love for Panhellenic.

What was your freshmen recruitment experience like?

My recruitment experience was not as intense as most people made it. First semester, I went to lunches with all the chapters (since we didn’t have open communication it was the only way to get one-on-one time with each chapter). Then during recruitment week, I went through with the thought process that I just wanted to find a home where I could look up to those that were older than me and that would better my strengths and work on my weaknesses as a person. Overall my week was wonderful since I went through accepting of all chapters and not just one. I was able to enjoy each party that the chapters prepared and go through with a smile.

What is one piece of advice you would give to first-year girls going through recruitment in January?

HAVE FUN!!! It is supposed to be a fun process if you make it stressful then it’ll be stressful. There are 8 AMAZING chapters on SMU’s campus for a reason and you will find a home in one of them if you go through with an open mind.

Have you helped implement any changes during your presidency?

Yes. Not anything specific, but I did make the role of President more structured than it has been in the past.

What has been the highlight of your experience?

Meeting and forming relationships with all the chapters, the many advisors, and the pnm’s.

What do you think is the best park about SMU greek life?

We are a strong body of top performing students that all value friendship, service, and leadership. Also, no matter what the stereotypes are SMU’s greek community is rare in the fact that for the most part we all genuinely like each other for the differences that we represent.

Plans post presidency? (i.e. spring semester, post grad)

Spring semester: be a normal student with down time :). Post Grad: I will be working for Citibank in their TLP program.

What are you most excited for when you can re-affilate with your chapter in January?

To wear my letters, attend the events with my friends, and be able to tell people the sorority I’m in.

Current SMU JuniorMajoring in Communications, Anthropology and Public Relations & Strategic CommunicationSister of Chi Omega Media Connector PR Intern at Golin Harris International Lover of Quentin Tarantino movies, grilled cheese sandwhiches, college basketball. corny motivational quotes and anything tye-dyeFeel free to email me at bsstrickla@smu.edu
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor