Kylie’s 2017 Birthday Collection: Flop or Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The new ~queen~ dominating the makeup world, Kylie Jenner, recently turned 20, and to celebrate, she released a new birthday collection on Kylie Cosmetics.  The collection, like all her makeup launches, sold out in minutes.  I’ve been a fan of Kylie’s makeup for quite a while now, so about 15 minutes before the launch, I stopped EVERYTHING to sit on my computer and hit refresh on her website (every 30 seconds) in hopes I would score a collection for myself.  The adrenaline was real, y’all.  At exactly 1:00 PST I threw myself a party, because I officially had a Kylie Jenner Birthday Collection with my name on it!

We all know Kylie’s packaging is the CUTEST, but WOW! She outdid herself this year.  Her theme for this birthday collection is pink, so everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is pink, and most of it is also covered in glitter.  It’s a dream.  The collection includes the I Want It All Palette (including 9 Kyshadows, blush and a highlighter), a mini matte liquid lipstick kit (with six lipsticks) and mini velvet liquid lipstick kit (6 lipsticks), a lip kit in her new shade, Twenty-two new glosses: Cupcake and Cherry pie, two new Ultra Glow highlighters: King and Queen, a bedazzled version of her Candy K lip kit, a four piece brush set and a pink, glittery birthday collection makeup bag.

The I Want It All palette comes with a combination of shimmering, metallic and matte Kyshadows, so creating endless dynamic looks with the pallet is a piece of cake (wink wink).  I was most excited about the 16 new shades of lipstick and gloss I was going to get to try, being the lipstick fanatic that I am.  The kit comes with a huge variety of lipstick shades (see below), so it’s easy to have fun experimenting and playing around with this kit.

Matte liquids left to right: One Wish, Baby Girl, Angel, August Bug (previously June Bug in the Vacation collection), Alll Nighter, Gorg

The matte liquid lipsticks are amazing for all day wear, but be sure to keep some chap stick on you when using them, because your lips are 99 percent likely to be as dry as the Sahara by the end of the day.

Velvet liquids left to right: LA, Party Girl, Birthday Suit, Sprinkle, Commando, Surprise Me

In my opinion, the velvet lipsticks are better for long-term wear, because they’re less drying on your lips but still last an extremely long time.  They also give a semi-matte look while feeling smoother on your lips all day long.

The kit also comes with a BANGIN’ duo of loose highlighters that will leave your face g-l-o-w-i-n-g.  They are to die for in the right lighting!

Highlighters left to right: King, Queen

The other lip products included in this kit are her new shade Twenty, which is a matte, darker nude brown, best-seller matte lipstick, Candy K and 2 new lip gloss shades.  This was my first time trying Kylie’s glosses, and I must say they are AMAZING! They are highly pigmented and shine like the freaking sun. They’re some of the only glosses I’ve worn that also stay on for hours instead of fading away and leaving a colorless, sticky coating on your lips. Another plus to her liquid lip products is that they smell so much better than the majority of those on the market.

Other lippies left to right: Twenty liner & liquid matte lipstick, Candy K matte liquid lipstick, Cherry Pie lip gloss, Cupcake lip gloss

My favorite individual product from this collection is the I Want It All palette.  It has 3 of your most essential makeup products with eyeshadow, blush and highlighter! Throw this in your makeup bag with foundation, mascara, and your favorite birthday collection lip product, and you have a full look. The palette is also super thin and fits into most makeup bags easily, making it ah-mazing for travel.

I Want It All pallet left to right: Kyshadow: Birthday Girl, Buttercream Frosting, Party Time, Forever Young, The New Black, New Year New Me, 1942, Celebrate, Midnight

Blush: Cheers. 

Highlighter: Confetti.

This collection also comes with every shade and type of liquid lip product you could ever dream of. From nudes to bright, bold pinks and purples, to dark browns and burgundy, Kylie has you covered.  You can choose between matte, velvet and glossy textures.  What more could you ask for?  All 3 textures go on smoothly and STAY ON all day long! 

All of the products can also be purchased individually on kyliecosmetics.com, so you can still experience the magic of the birthday collection without breaking the bank.  All in all, I would highly recommend the Birthday Collection to anyone looking to liven up their own makeup collection.

All photos of the collection by Lauren Dudley

Lauren Dudley is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University pursuing degrees in Vocal Performance and Psychology with a minor in Musical Theater.  She obviously has a pasison for music and theater, but also has passions for poitics, mental health, food, exercising, and much more! This is her first year writing for Hercampus, and she couldn't be more excited! Xoxo
We are the SMU Team.