This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.
With her long blonde hair and unmistakeable smile, Katie Logsdon can be found around the SMU campus monitoring the halls as a resident assistant in Morrison-McGinnis commons or organizing Sigma Phi Lambda events as the school’s chapter president. The sophomore double majoring in Health & Society & Biology, intending to graduate early in December 2016, sat down with Her Campus SMU to talk about her extracirricular activities, future goals and passions.

Her Campus SMU: What is your favorite activity on campus you’re involved with?

Katie Logsdon: My favorite activity on campus has to be being a part of Phi Lamb. Through the sorority I’ve made my best friends here at SMU who constantly build me up and push me to grow in my faith. Together we serve the Dallas community with organizations like Jesus Said Love, worship together through song and prayer, and have fun at socials and formals!

HC SMU: I know you’re involved with Phi Lamb and you’re an RA. Can you tell me how you got involved with these organizations and how you balance and manage your time and school work?

KL: Starting in February 2014, I got together with a group of friends to start the Phi Lamb chapter here on SMU’s campus. Since then, I’ve served as the chapter’s treasurer during my sophomore year and now serve as president during my junior year. I got involved with Phi Lamb because my freshman year the Lord it put on my heart to start a group for Christian women on campus to come together with similar values and do life together here at SMU. My freshman year I applied to be an RA and started as an RA in Morrison-McGinnis for the spring semester of 2015 and have continued working in the community since then. I wanted to be an RA because I think the freshman experience is so special, and I wanted to be a part of that process for new students. Like many people on this campus, I am frequently busy with meetings for Phi Lamb and for my job as an RA, in addition to school. However, I enjoy serving my peers at SMU and creating spaces for them to be involved on campus where they can enjoy their time here too! I try to be efficient with my time. I’m not very active on social media, but it’s because I devote my time to other things. I’d rather be meeting with my friends in person than looking at their profiles! And then when I’m not hanging out with friends, I’m being involved on campus, or doing school work. I go to bed by 11:30pm and get up by 7am to start all over again – I’m most productive in the mornings. On a more superficial level – my planner. I could not function without my planner. One of my top rules is write everything down as soon as I hear it, or else I will forget.  

HC SMU: What do you plan to do after college?

KL: I would like to go into a Masters program for Certified Nurse-Midwifery.  I think childbirth is a beautiful and natural process and would love to spend my career helping women through that very special time in their lives. 

HC SMU: What’s something most people don’t know about you?
KL: I love to write people letters! I think it’s important to tell people when you appreciate them, so I often write little thank you or encouragement notes to people. I must always have a nice box of stationary in my desk, but I always run out quickly. 

HC SMU: Can you give advice to any first-year students?

KL: Get to know the people around you and take the time to be vulnerable with others to create real, lasting friendships. When I came to SMU I was very focused on school and didn’t take much time to form relationships with others. I’ve learned since then that while academics are very important, taking time for other people – meeting with a friend after she’s had a bad day, stopping to ask someone how their test went – matters too.

HC SMU: What is a motto or quote you live by?

KL: “Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically as something done for the Lord and not for man.” Colossians 3:23

Courtesy of Facebook
Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.