samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Spooky Season Y’all: How to Decorate Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The month of October brings many wonderfully spooky attractions. The excitement of choosing a costume and themed party planning are high on the list, but undoubtedly one of the best parts of October is decorating for Halloween. Unfortunately, students that live on campus are limited in the scope of their decor possibilities by a lack of space and money. This article serves to lend some inspiration and examples to start your Halloween festivities off on the right foot!

Step 1. Raid Your Family’s Decorations

If you go to college in state, make a stop at your house and take any decorations your family isn’t planning on using. This way, you have sentimental items to bring a taste of home, and there is no need to spend money on things you already have!

If stopping in at home isn’t an option, ask your parents to send you some things they aren’t planning on using, or if there is a trip home planned for the near future, pack some stuff to bring back with you.

Step 2. Take Stock and Begin to Plan

Once you have gathered your free items, begin to mentally piece together what you want your dorm to look like. Whatever can’t be achieved with hand-me-downs can be purchased at local stores.

Stores with Cheap Halloween Decorations

• Dollar Stores- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, etc.

• Target or Walmart- loaded with fun and inexpensive options.

• Five Below- a great local option with everything priced below $5

• Party City- can sometimes get pricey, but has one of the greatest assortments

• Spirit Halloween- a store specific to Halloween

Step 3. Get to Work!

One of the best ways to plan is to not plan at all. Find one piece you know exactly what you want to do with and then build around that.

Here are some fun examples I did in my own dorm!

Door Decor!

All of these items were purchased from the dollar store!

TV Console Creepies!

This sign was from home!

Desk Decorations!

A mix of purchased and salvaged items!

Dry Erase Drawings!

Printer People!

These items were old decorations from home!

Good luck and Happy Halloween!

We are the SMU Team.