How to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

You are a strong, independent woman who don’t need no man! Granted, that’s pretty easy to forget around Valentine’s Day. All your friends with significant others are planning what gifts to buy, where they’ll go, etc. So what are you, the friend without a date, to do?

Fear not! You can be your own date! Treat yourself to the perfect Valentine’s Day this year!

For your stomach:

Brunch it! This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday, so treat yourself to your favorite breakfast… after waking up at noon!

Now, be warned, if you go out to a restaurant, the experience will be different than most other days of the year. This generally applies to dinners, but your breakfasts and lunches may be affected. With the massive number of couples who go out for a romantic meal, you’re likely to find yourself amidst limited menus and frazzled waiters.

No guarantees on when, where, or if you might encounter some of these difficulties, but be prepared, at least, to be surrounded by couples if you venture out for some noontime pancakes!

For your body:

Pamper yourself! Second semester is up and running, syllabus days long over. Consequently, the stress has likely set in. Instead of spending your money on your S.O., now you can spend it on a mani-pedi, or a nice massage to destress.

Or, if you don’t want to go out, take an extra-long shower! Exfoliate, shave, use your favorite body wash, and come out feeling fresh and renewed! You can always paint your own nails and toes, or do it with your other single gal-pals!

Courtesy of Jacksonville Moms Blog

For your mind:

Sit down with your favorite book. Watch your favorite movie while wrapped in your softest blanket. Put in your earbuds with your favorite playlist and drift. Remember, this is a day for you and about you, so don’t force yourself to socialize. Alone time is healthy too!

Courtesy of Huffington Post

For your heart:

While socializing doesn’t have to be the majority of your day, taking some time to hang out with friends is a wonderful way to spend your time. After all, it is the day of love, and lots of love comes from your friends!

Courtesy of The Meekonomics Project

So don’t be upset! You’re not celebrating the holiday with a guy or gal at your side? Big deal! No one is going to know you better or treat you better than you, don’t let the day go to waste!

Feature image courtesy of HerPhilly

Callie is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, double-majoring in French and Fashion Media and minoring in Journalism.
We are the SMU Team.